Dubbel Dubbel - Grain/hop/mash Timing Help.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adryargument

Reaction score
So i'm putting down my first belgian dubbel in the next week or two.

The grain looks pretty solid to me.
From my visit to westfleteven/st bernadus they grow Saaz and Magnum on site. so i will be sticking with these.
However hop schedules i'm not to familiar with for a dubbel.

No idea what mash schedule to go with...

I struggle with efficiency with high ABV beers, may increase boil to 120 minutes and increase sparge.

Candi is going in mid ferment, after shes done with the pole.

Any ideas, thoughts??

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 56.80 l
Post Boil Volume: 46.80 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 42.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 21.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 75.1 %
1.00 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.4 %
0.85 kg Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM) Grain 3 8.0 %
0.80 kg Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 4 7.5 %
25.00 g Magnum [11.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 16.5 IBUs
25.00 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 3.5 IBUs
25.00 g Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 2.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [35.49 Yeast 8 -

ABV = 6.8

Looks good to me. Don't be afraid to use more sugar if you think you should, upto 15%+ is fine by me.

As for the hops they look fine also around 20IBUs is a GOP target to aim for.

If you ask me the real "flavour" in this style comes from yeast/fermentation. Don't be afraid to let it go fairly high, I wouldn't be afraid of it reach 26/28C toward the end. Just make sure you pitch low (21) just avoid any fusel alcohols.

Belgian brewing is a blast I especially love "Dubbels" but don't be afraid on making whatever you feel like. No fun sticking to styles if you ask me...especially Belgian brews!!

Looks good to me. Don't be afraid to use more sugar if you think you should, upto 15%+ is fine by me.

As for the hops they look fine also around 20IBUs is a GOP target to aim for.

If you ask me the real "flavour" in this style comes from yeast/fermentation. Don't be afraid to let it go fairly high, I wouldn't be afraid of it reach 26/28C toward the end. Just make sure you pitch low (21) just avoid any fusel alcohols.

Belgian brewing is a blast I especially love "Dubbels" but don't be afraid on making whatever you feel like. No fun sticking to styles if you ask me...especially Belgian brews!!

Cheers, i feel a lot more optimistic, also ill go ahead and pitch at 20 and let it creep.
Saves space in the ferment chamber for that wit i have planned :)

I've found getting a lot of the colour from the candi syrup makes for a better dubbel (or dark strong). If you've already bought the amber, all good - but the really dark stuff is delicious.

I've found getting a lot of the colour from the candi syrup makes for a better dubbel (or dark strong). If you've already bought the amber, all good - but the really dark stuff is delicious.

Made it myself.. Being such a rare ingredient i surprisingly have another 2kg sugar i'm happy to throw into the pot :)
I was actually thinking its a tad to light. The La Trappe Isid'or is the pinnacle i'm aiming at. Divine.

Craftbrewer's 2 dark candy syrups are great - expensive, but I just imagine what a case of Dubbel costs and think of Belgium.

As much as I've tried, I can't make real syrup at home. And IMO, it's the key ingredient in dark Belgians.

Off topic, but I made a Simcoe AAA with all the colour (100% pils grist) from extra dark candy syrup ... wicked!

EDIT: just looked up La Trappe Isid'or, it's not dark like a dubbel. La Trappe's stuff is brilliant - just saw they have a wit!

EDIT: just looked up La Trappe Isid'or, it's not dark like a dubbel. La Trappe's stuff is brilliant - just saw they have a wit!

The Isid'or was phenomenal on tap.

I remember it as a deep brown almost black colour.
However i have a feeling that could have been attributed to the danky dark pub in the basement of helsinki's train station.

Edit: here we are, crazy amount of exposure on this one compared to the other dark photos i have.
gallery_19421_859_1766.jpg

Mmmm. Dans only has the Quad (bit 'hot' for me) and the Blond (better than Leffe IMO). Wish they got the rest in. I'd live to try the Wit.

No idea what mash schedule to go with...

Hochkurz type works a treat - you retain body but still end up with a dry finish. I swear by it for all Belgian styles.

62 for 10-15 mins, bump to 68 for the remainder then mash out (or a glycoprotein rest at 72 if you are so inclined)

Back