Dual Regs And Ss Disconnects

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubes

Reaction score
Looks like Santa will be delivering a heavy sack full of keg gear my way this year. So never having had the pleasure before I am a little unsure as to what to go for. Some questions for all you lucky keggers.
  • If you could buy your keg gear again would you get a Dual Regulator? Why or why not? I don't intend getting two taps now but may well down the track and I like a mix of weizen/lager and low gassed Scottish Ales so the idea appeals.
  • Is it worth spending an extra $40 to get a set of SS disconnects? Do the plastic ones last?
  • Is there anything specific that I need to watch when getting the gear? I will probably go via Craig Deacon as he seems to be the best round Sydney.
Thanks guys

the only thing i would change is a larger fridge to fit more kegs in. i am happy with my gear. i use plastic disconnects and a single gauge regulator.

i agree that plastic disconnects are fine. i have two taps and obviously two kegs in the fridge and wish i had more - but fine to start off with.

I got a dual pressure regulator and wouldn't swap it for a single pressure one ever.
Great to be force carbing one keg and serving others.

I started out with SS disconnects when plastic ones were quite new and were prone to breaking.
Since the keg freezer conversion I've swapped to plastic ones and haven't had any problems. If anything the SS ones were more prone to sticking making them harder to get of the keg posts. The plastic ones are also cheaper and easier to locate.

I'd try and make sure you get kegs that are all the same so that things such as in and out posts, orings etc are all the same do you can keep one style of spares.

Other than that it will be the best move you ever did. It will keep you in the hobby/obession.

Beers,
Doc

I would also buy a good tap...

Try and get a pulldown or one of the new Grundy/brumby lever types as in the Carlton Draught add - that uses a snaplock fitting - that way you can take the taps out with out disconecting the liquid disconect from the fridge - also, u can clean and rekit the tap without pulling the whole fridge extension apart.
I sell keg systems and taps - the number I have sold to peole unsatisfied with the 110.00 HBS supplied Truflow single piece twist tap is huge.
I hate East west twist tap mechanisms.

Also, buy Stainless Steel T Pieces for when u want to goto more tahn one tap set up.

Buy a dual gauge reg so u can keep an eye on how much Gas is left in the bottle.
Stay away from pin lock kegs/setups - ball lock is the way to go.
As Doc said - try and get all kegs the same...

Hope this helps...

GMK,

How much do you sell your taps for - I may be able to convince Santa to buy me one for Christmas :)

Rob.

Reconditioned Pull Down taps are 60.00.
Same tap with snap lock fitting and fridge extension - nominally chrome plated brass - is 85.00
Add 10.00 if you 5m of beer line.

Brand new SS Grundy/Brumby style taps with snap lock shanks are 95.00ea
Brand new SS Snaplock and fridge extension for the above Grundy Taps or the rekitted Pulldowns - are 55.00ea

Hope this helps you out....

Cool, Thanks for that GMK. I have sent you a PM.

Rob

my set-up is my first.. I set it up with a dual reg with two taps, was only a few bucks more for the dual reg...

recently I added a T piece to one of the gas lines and added another gas disconnect, so I have 2 for pouring and 1 to force carbonate, very handy..

Back