Dt Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lael

Reaction score
Hi,

wanting to make a Delirium Tremens clone from a recipe on Northern Brewer. The recommendation is to harvest from a bottle of DT and then step up to pitching volumes. I was hoping to 'bank' the yeast once I've successfully stepped it up.

Any recommendations on when to pull some for banking, and what to expect from the yeast in terms of fermentation? should i expect a similar action to other yeasts? (I'm new to brewing - so I know different yeasts ferment differently, just not sure how to gauge what 'signs' would be of healthy fermentation for this yeast).

Has anyone done this (harvested or specifically from a DT before?) and have any tips to share?

Thanks!

Isn't it a mixture of yeasts?

You might find that you're only propagating the dominant one...

Isn't it a mixture of yeasts?

You might find that you're only propagating the dominant one...

supposedly three yeasts, but the guys who harvested it have all claimed a very close/ clone result.

I harvested some a couple of months ago and the wort out of the starter did indeed have most of the flavour profile of DT (with some additions missing and it hadn't fermented - so not the mouthfeel). But... had an infection and it went sour on the third step up. I have some erlenmeyer flasks arriving that should make it a little easier hopefully... fingers crossed.

Think i might have captured it! :)

Threw it in a coopers pet bottle one night when we were drinking some and made up some wort. shook it over the next few days and then forgot about it - went back and opened it three weeks later and lo and behold, fruity, smooth, creamy, just delicious! Started propogating it on stir plate and flask and a few step ups later:

20130213_213910.jpg

5 vials and I've got the stirplate going for a planned brew on Fri night

left is wyeast 3056 from a smackpack split, right is DT - hasn't completely crashed out after 24hrs... are the two colours two strains of yeast? or troob and yeast? any other ideas?

just an update - this DT batch is almost finished in the fermenter. One week to go! So far - down to 1012 from 1070 in three weeks, tastes good, alcohol is prominent - not sure if it will be hidden / smoothed out over the next week and with carbonation. Not as many fruity flavours as expected, so I've upped the temp to 23C for the next week (suggestions on this as a good / bad idea are welcome!). I read the instructions from the wrong notes and threw the saaz in at 30 mins instead of 10mins for flavour hops (which makes a ton more sense) so it is slightly more bitter than it should be (26 ibu instead of 22).

Is there any problem / precaution with pitching on a yeast cake from a high gravity beer?

'usually' you try to head from lower gravity to higher gravity, yeast from lower gravity beers have slightly better health.

Not saying you can't pitch to a 'portion' of the cake, a whole cake is a pretty large overpitch, that said, plenty of people do it but I've never tried it so won't comment on the results.

Yob said:
'usually' you try to head from lower gravity to higher gravity, yeast from lower gravity beers have slightly better health.

Not saying you can't pitch to a 'portion' of the cake, a whole cake is a pretty large overpitch, that said, plenty of people do it but I've never tried it so won't comment on the results.
Thanks Yob - so maybe wash the yeast cake and then pitch the washed yeast? I've also got a fresh batch sitting in the fridge as I thought I was going to need to repitch to get this one to attenuate fully. Any idea on how to get less prominent alcohol tones?

ok - this has actually balanced out nicely after secondary. I"m getting ready to bottle and it is recommended to prime at 4 volumes. Any comments on whether 'normal' 330ml bottles can handle the pressure? Grolsch style bottles? I bought a tirage cap, but don't have any champagne bottles to use just yet.

I'm thinking about cold-crashing down to 1degC for 24 hours and then bottling, would that leave enough yeast for carbonation and bottle conditioning?

Latest posts

Back