DSGA in progress

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus_grant

Custom Title Now Available
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Thought I'd document my brew day just to complicate things even further. he he So making the Good Doctor's Golden Ale. I've had some Amarillo in the fridge for a few months calling out to me sweetly and gently each time I opened the fridge. I have finally weakened and succumbed to the siren's seductive call.

So on with some photos:
1-grainCrushed.png
Grain crushed and ready
2-ramping.png
Ramping up to strike temp of 68
3-screenshot.png
Control software controlling things
4-mashIn.png
Mashing in. Now onto getting the hops ready and sneak in a beer.

5-beerSnuck.png
Beer snuck. A Lord Nelson Cascading Out of this Galaxy, dry-hopped with 30gms Citra. :icon_drool2:

No wonder I had to by some more for my next batch of Nelson, which I will hopefully be nailing late this afternoon

9-mashDone.png
mash done

I am now half way through boil. Cube sterilised for no-chill. Yet to add the Citra or Amarillo but that should smell good. :icon_drool2:

I'll do the Lord neslon tomorrow morning.

What are the tube thingos poking in and out of the mash?

Boil finished and SG taken. 1061 with temp correction which puts me at 85% efficiency. It is normally 70% so not quite sure what the difference is. I did stir it a bit more than normal and left grain in for mash-out this time.

Waiting for trub to settle out and then will put in cube for no-chill.. Sweet, time for another beer. Mate has come around to watch the rugby with a 6 of Fat Yaks and some vodka. Happy days.

Silicon tube for recirculating. I've recirculated from the first BIAB and haven't thought about changing yet. Maybe I should try a batch with recirc and see what the difference is.

Once I get the Lord Nelson cubed I should have enough beer stocked up to start work on the brau-clone again.

huh, I forgot to post the last shot:
10-cubed.png

Also brewed and cubed my 3rd Lord Nelson Cascading out of this Galaxy today. Got 81% as per Brewmate so I am thinking maybe my new BIAB bag is allowing better circulation. That is the only thing I have changed since the previous brew where I got my normal 70%. It certainly drains a LOT faster than my previous bag.

So both my beers boiled out at a much higher gravity than expected. I don't know whether to ferment them out for a higher ABV or dilute them so I can bottle 7 or 8 for gifts or storage.

Man, the DSGA yesterday was an epic 8 hour brew session. The little man was very busy so I was held up at every stage. Probably lucky you didn't come over. He he.

The Lord Nelson was a normal 5 hour brew session today and was much more streamlined. I am very pleased with the new BiAB bag. Drains so much quicker so easier to haul out of the pot full of grain and 2 or 3 litres of wort.

Kids will do that :)

Nice one. I punched out a Red IPA today. I should have been feeling a lot seedier than I did this morning. Worked my way through a heap of beers yesterday. Definitely get along to the next one if you can.

Yeh, I was gutted when Anna told me the girls weekend was on the same weekend. But it was her first time away since the birth of our boy so I was happy to let her go. But I will definitely be in for the next one. :chug: :kooi: :party:

Save me a taste of the red IPA. he he....

angus_grant said:
Man, the DSGA yesterday was an epic 8 hour brew session. The little man was very busy so I was held up at every stage. Probably lucky you didn't come over. He he.

The Lord Nelson was a normal 5 hour brew session today and was much more streamlined. I am very pleased with the new BiAB bag. Drains so much quicker so easier to haul out of the pot full of grain and 2 or 3 litres of wort.
What is the new bag you're using ? Swiss viole ?

I've no idea what material. It does look like voile though. I was at my local homebrew store grabbing some yeast and saw they had bags there. I had just busted a whole in my first bag the last brew so grabbed it. There were a few smaller grain particles left behind when I hoisted the bag at mash out but didn't bother me that much.

Quality Homebrew on Kingston Road in Slacks Creek. I can't even remember if there was a brand on the packet or anything. $10 pre-sewn so thought I'd grab it and see how it went. Also grabbed a 3L flask for $20 and was assured it would survive going from hotplate to immersed in water to chill down starter wort before putting yeast in. Will find that out in a week or two when I go to ferment the Lord Nelson

How did you go fitting all the grain in the bag? I think I have the same bag but only use it for hops at the moment. Think I would struggle to fit all my grain in. Maybe it's a different bag.

Thanks Angus, Quality Homebrew was my local shop till I went AG.
I was going to go there for a bottle rinser so I'll check out the bags too.
Otherwise I was going to go to Spotlight and grab some SV.

I used to go there all the time. Only 5 mins down the road from my work. Only issue I've had is that last time I went they had hops all over their shelves rather than in the fridge. Only buy stuff from there that can't spoil now.

Yeah they still have the fridge and it does have hops and yeast. But I could't find something in the fridge and they found it on the shelf. They had a bunch of hops under the shelves on the floor. Have used them to get some grain in a pinch but not my first choice anymore.

Latest posts

Back