Drying and Freezing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jesus you would have to be brave to assume much would survive, unless that frozen was in liquid Nitrogen.
It can be surprising how tough yeast can be, the oldest yeast that survived bottling that I can recall came from a shipwreck circa 1710 in the English Chanel, mind you we are talking very cold (<0oC) totally dark and no O2 ingress, some researcher managed to coax a cell or two back to life.
Modern "Dried Yeast" is freeze dried, if you don't freeze the yeast before drying as the water is evaporated out, the stuff dissolve in it (both inside and outside the cell) concentrates. In effect it gets more and more "salty" it will reach the point where it is starting to damage the cell and its internal structures, in similar way that needles of water ice forming can.

The whole point of adding Glycerine is to stop the formation of ice crystals and the harm they do.
I would also be very concerned that the yeast may not be the same after freezing, good way to cause mutations, the freezing process will also stress the hell out of the yeast.
As a home brewer who cant afford a $20-30K freeze dryer and who wants good healthy yeast I would look at Glycerine freezing, followed by a full lifecycle starter or two, to make sure the yeast was not only alive, had a high enough population and was at full vitality and hadn't mutated into something unexpected.
Mark

Thanks,

Had a bit of a read around and apparently bakers and cooks happily freeze their dried yeast for 2 or 3 years with no change to the viability. That would be commercially dried Bakers yeast only use it to leaven bread, so they may not be so concerned with mutation and stress.

Its no problem to freeze dried brewing yeast either, and it too will keep for years with high viability.
as an example Saf say their dry yeast will lose about 20% of it viability/year at 20oC and only 4% at 4oC (pretty easy mnemonic), even less colder, down to virtually nil at cryogenic temperatures (liquid Nitrogen -196oC).
The problem is getting it dry and keeping it viable whilst getting it dry.
With a few simple precautions yes you can keep properly dried yeast frozen for potentially centuries (but decades at least),
Has to be very very cold, cant cycle above and below the freezing point, has to have the right very low water content...
Not something the average home brewer has the equipment or resources to do, but its interesting
For long term home storage I would look at unopened sachets of commercial dry yeast, or for re-culturing, glycerine freezing.
Mark

What about just freezing brewers dry yeast packets. Is that ok? Not that we need to with it being readily available but for maintaining viability for longer would it be better to keep dry yeast packets in the freezer rather than the fridge?
Oops I think MHB just said that but not sure..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back