Dryhopping With Chinook?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohitsbrad

Reaction score
I know it might not be a typical choice, but has anyone used Chinook for dryhopping? I made an American IPA and used Chinook at the start of the boil and also Cascade and Amarillo. Was planning on dryhopping with both the Cascade and Amarillo over two weeks, but maybe some of that piney character from the Chinook would be good too?

I read that Emersons APA uses Chinook, Amarillo and Cascade (and more) and from memory it had a good spicey, piney aroma as well as the Cascade citrus and grapefruit aroma.

What do you think?

I've dryhopped with ~15g of Chinook on an APA that had a lot of lat Chinook as I ran out of Cascade.
Really grassy flavouring from the dry hopping, was really strong/overpowering for the first few days in the keg, but then seemed to mellow out.

So basically, you could, but it'd be a personal taste thing. I probably wouldn't do it again, not on it's own at least.

my apa's are typically chinook for bittering and then cascade for aroma (within the last 20 mins)

i have thrown chinook in the whirlpool as well as dry hopping but you need to use it sparingly, ie any more than 10g will kill your flavours IMHO.

for dry hopping i would try perhaps 5-10g to test with

i have thrown chinook in the whirlpool as well as dry hopping but you need to use it sparingly, ie any more than 10g will kill your flavours IMHO.

for dry hopping i would try perhaps 5-10g to test with

I agree. Chinook's a potent little number! You don't need much before it totally dominates the flavour of the beer. Its not a BAD hop mind you, and actually my perfect APA probably would have some chinook in it (just to give a bit of bite to the hop character), but I would probably not add any more than 1/2g/L late in the boil. Same probably translates to dry hopping. It is a personal preference thing though, you may love the idea of sucking on a grapefruit!! :lol: :ph34r:

I find it great for dry hopping & very late additions, but i avoid it as a bittering addition - I find even a small amount added early can totatly dominate the brew (fine if it's what you are after). 5gms is my max at 20 mins, but prefer to add at 5mins or flameout/dryhop.

cheers Ross

I am a fan and have used it for all of the above and found it a very powerful. Just try not to go overboard and you can get some great results. These days I tend to use horizon for bittering rather than Chinook.

Thanks.

I might mix something like 25g Cascade, 20g Amarillo and just 5g Chinook and add in small quantities over two weeks.

I find it great for dry hopping & very late additions, but i avoid it as a bittering addition - I find even a small amount added early can totatly dominate the brew (fine if it's what you are after). 5gms is my max at 20 mins, but prefer to add at 5mins or flameout/dryhop.

cheers Ross

Rossco,

How do you find it dominates as a bittering addition but works as a late one?

Rossco,

How do you find it dominates as a bittering addition but works as a late one?

I don't find the grapefruit anywhere near as dominating adding late. i like mixing 5 different hops together, but find the chinook early boil, dominates completely, whereas late, the other hops shine through as well.

cheers ross

Latest posts

Back