Dry Wheat Yeasts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea! does hoegaarden use that as a secondary conditioning yeast or is it the same as their primary yeast?

have you (or anyone) used it?

cheers, ash
Hoogarden bottle yeast is widely reported to NOT be the primary strain (and for some markets has also been pasturised).

Ash,

I'm just fermenting a Belgian wit with a dried yeast combo of K97 & S33.
Pitched over 40gms of yeast (probably way too much) in the evening at 19c & she went off like a bomb - The next morning the krausen had already been & gone & down to FG 1018 from 1053. The temp had risen to 23.5c.
The flavour on day 2 is spicey & clovey, no banana. Will be interesting to see how good the final beer is...

Cheers Ross

WHOOPS.. I must be having a bad hair day - Having not heard too much good on using K97 in a wheat, it was actually T58 & S33 that I mixed. As i said, tasting fairly interesting at the moment, but I'll reserve judgement till it's in the keg...

cheers Ross

Great idea! does hoegaarden use that as a secondary conditioning yeast or is it the same as their primary yeast?

cheers, ash

As sean has said, Hoegaarden does not bottle with their primary strain. I have had good success reculturing from a bottle of organic Schneider Weisse, however.

K97 smells and tastes ok from primary in its early days, but ends up drying out the beer and leaving you with a bland beer,all the sexy subtlties of a wheaty dissapear.It also throws a massive sediment that i found cloude the beer excessively(even for a wheat) and hindered the flava.
I agree with you on that, beers made with K-97 are best consumed within 2 months or they lose their edge.

Cheers, Andrew.

What about T-58?
AFAIK it's a Belgian ale yeast (that has origins as an old english ale yeast - can't remember where I read that), I have just used it in a triple that's ready to bottle and tastes real nice. Lots of spicy, peppery notes but no banana.

Cheers, Andrew.
Mullet Man :p ,

IIRC, It was prob MHB who posted that on a dry yeast (sale) thread, as I've heard the same description from him in person.

Ash in Perth Posted Today, 09:40 PM

I thought so, but I'm fairly sure of the Hoegaarden Grand cru yeast which throws the same wit/ horseblanket flavrs in the next generation brew (thanks Stephen, for this research). :beerbang:

WHOOPS.. I must be having a bad hair day - Having not heard too much good on using K97 in a wheat, it was actually T58 & S33 that I mixed. As i said, tasting fairly interesting at the moment, but I'll reserve judgement till it's in the keg...

cheers Ross

Ross, that must be body hair, coz...gee whiz, I didn't see much above the collar :p

** Edit [As far as I know (and I'm always right) there is no dry wheat yeast, esp not a Weizen yeast.]

Seth out :p

so it looks like i can either use an inferior yeast to make an american style wheat beer or just buy a decent liquid strain and use it for a few brews.

The int. beer shop has schneider organic wheat, i had one recently but they are quite old. maybe ill try reculturing that when they get some fresher stock in.

Not inferior, just different. US-56 is a fine yeast.

I'd have a crack at culturing the Schneider anyway, it's cheap and even if it does not work you still get to drink the beer.

what i meant is that was hoping to brew a german style but the best i can do properly with a dry yeast is an american wheat beer.

i just had an idea... jarrah jacks (micro brewery down south WA) does a wheat beer and it is bottle conditioned. i doubt they would go to the trouble to filter out teh eyast and add new stuff so maybe this is can be re-cultured. Its not a bad wheat beer, shows some of the characters i like.

cheers, ash
Ash

Have just recently brewed a Hoegarden using the yeast from a Hoegarden Grand Cru. The result was a brew so damn close to the original that I'm thinking that this beer will easily be a winner in it's class in a comp.

The aroma had a slight banana/clove aroma. The taste was a tart/slightly lactic bite and subtle hints of coriander and orange peel.

Weizguy was equally impressed with the taste etc of this beer - and he doesn't have the title of "Weizguy" for nothing!

I sttrongly recommend brewing a beer with the same yeast as I used - Hoegarden Grand Cru.

Cheers

Steve.

i just had an idea... jarrah jacks (micro brewery down south WA) does a wheat beer and it is bottle conditioned. i doubt they would go to the trouble to filter out teh eyast and add new stuff so maybe this is can be re-cultured. Its not a bad wheat beer, shows some of the characters i like.

That sounds like a goer, then!

A question for our learned wheat brewers

My wit has now developed clove & banana characteristics in the fermenter. Is this acceptable in a wit or totally out of style? Regardless, it certainly tastes nice :) ...

Cheers Ross

...snip...
** Edit [As far as I know (and I'm always right) there is no dry wheat yeast, esp not a Weizen yeast.]

Seth out :p

:huh:

I've used K-97 for some of my "dangerous dunkleweizens" and had pretty good results - mind you, I've drunk them within 6 weeks of brewing them! :D
I find it works best when pitched at around 19C and let it drift up to around 23C during a vigorous ferment. Rack to secondary to avoid excessively cloudy results...

Cheers,
TL

A question for our learned wheat brewers

My wit has now developed clove & banana characteristics in the fermenter. Is this acceptable in a wit or totally out of style? Regardless, it certainly tastes nice :) ...

Cheers Ross

Is that the T58/s33 combo Ross?

A belgian wit is prolly more clove/phenols and less banana than a german style wheat.

But who cares about style guide lines anyway.
A wheat beer with banana/bubble gum dominance is my fancy.
Thats the beauty of wheat beers, something so different and tasty flava weiz can be produced from a simple grist and yeast choice.

I purchased some orange blossom honey 2day for my planned belgian honey wheat with T58(first trial).

talking to the man at Guilfoyles( an adelaide honey icon) about beer , and he said he'd never tried a beer with citrus honey b4.Said he'd happily trade me some honey for a few of the beers when they are ready ;) (love a good Barter)

Is that the T58/s33 combo Ross?

Yes it is - Definately more clove than banana & I'm really happy with the current taste - trying to be a little bit more patient before kegging, but it seems all over after 5 days, it's at 1011 from 1053.

cheers ross

A fresh wheat is a good wheat IMO.

I bottle, so its usually 7 days primary,7 days in bottle and then start, but with kegging it could be a lot less methinks.

I agree, I've had wheats I've been drinking, in bottle, ten days after pitching. Then again I've been told I can be a little premature.

what about secondary?

is it better not to with wheats because you want the yeast in it?

Hazy is good but too murky is not, I secondary if the beer is too thick with yeast and not clearing enough in a week or two.

I have had some success with the yeast recultured from Hofbrau hefeweizen. I mashed my third weizen today and poured the wort straight onto the yeast cake of the secondary from the previous brew. This is second generation and I have some first generation splits in the fridge. Took off in one hour and is going like a train!

I'm fermenting at 18 to 20 degrees and getting good banana flavours, but not too overpowering. No taste of clove, though.

I think a wheat beer should be in secondary for at least a week. Preferably at a cooler temp to help flocculate. The yeast in the bottle should only be the small amount from carbonation as per any other beer. All the commercial examples of German wheats i have seen are crystal clear until the sediment in the bottom is disturbed.

Kai (or anyone else with some judging experience), when judging a wheat beer would you look at the clarity of the beer prior to adding in the sediment?

Back