Dry Wheat Yeasts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash in Perth

Barrow Boys Brewing
Reaction score
Im planning a simple german style pale wheat beer for summer but i dont want to make a whole heap of wheat beers so id rather not buy a liquid culture.

are there any dry yeasts that can give decent fruit and spice flavours/aromas?

A thread on here somewhere indicated that K-97 is a koelsch style yeast not a true wheat yeast.

Cheers, ash

Ash

I have used Saf Wheat (K-97) several times to brew both redback and hoegaarden styles. It works great for me, keep the temp at 18 deg and you should get a pretty good beer

Ash,

I'm just fermenting a Belgian wit with a dried yeast combo of K97 & S33.
Pitched over 40gms of yeast (probably way too much) in the evening at 19c & she went off like a bomb - The next morning the krausen had already been & gone & down to FG 1018 from 1053. The temp had risen to 23.5c.
The flavour on day 2 is spicey & clovey, no banana. Will be interesting to see how good the final beer is...

Cheers Ross

It depends on what you are after, ash. Do you want a true wheat beer or just a nice wheat-based ale? The former, I would either just buy a liquid culture or reculture from a bottle of schneider weisse. The latter, I would try K-97 even with mixed testimonies on its quality. Either that or make an american wheat with US-56.

Cheers.

do you think using K-97 a bit warmer (25ish) help get those flavours.

Im not really dead set on a true wheat beer as im still new to wheats but i at least want to be abel to taste that its a wheat beer. Part of this is to see how my new brewery handles a wheat based brew.

Ash

Cheers.

I don't know, but I find myself doubting it. The only wheatlike profile I have heard people report from K-97 is clove. Maybe wait and see how rossco's turn out?

i wont be brewing it untill closer to summer so ill see how ross's goes for now.

Ross, was there any specific reason for mixing the K-97 and S-33? sounds like an interesting combination!

If it at least resembles a wheat ill give it a shot i think.

Im planning a simple german style pale wheat beer for summer but i dont want to make a whole heap of wheat beers so id rather not buy a liquid culture.

are there any dry yeasts that can give decent fruit and spice flavours/aromas?

A thread on here somewhere indicated that K-97 is a koelsch style yeast not a true wheat yeast.

Cheers, ash

If it's fruity aroma's you're after, stay away from Brew Cellar's "Wheat Yeast" - mine came out bland as anything...

BB

thanks mate ill keep that in mind. my local HBS stocks DCL and Wyeast so they are my main options.

I find K-97 a dud for wheat beers IMO :angry: for last wheat It was Wyeast 3333 [again] and it's winner [again].
Have not found a good dry yeast for my wheats yet, but that may change. <_<

I ferment K-97 at 20C and get a bit of banana and clove but subdued, comes out nice and tart though.

Cheers, Andrew.

Cheers.

I don't know, but I find myself doubting it. The only wheatlike profile I have heard people report from K-97 is clove. Maybe wait and see how rossco's turn out?

So if you mix K-97 and a Coopers reculture fermented warm will you get cloves and bananas?

That was in the back of my mind, voosher!

I'd rather just use the coopers reculture, though I have never intentionally tried to squeeze banana from it.

Anyone use a lager yeast in a wheat? I am not game, but I bet you get all those wheat flavours..

I could be proven wrong though.

cheers

Darren

What about T-58?
AFAIK it's a Belgian ale yeast (that has origins as an old english ale yeast - can't remember where I read that), I have just used it in a triple that's ready to bottle and tastes real nice. Lots of spicy, peppery notes but no banana.

Cheers, Andrew.

What about T-58?
AFAIK it's a Belgian ale yeast (that has origins as an old english ale yeast - can't remember where I read that), I have just used it in a triple that's ready to bottle and tastes real nice. Lots of spicy, peppery notes but no banana.

Cheers, Andrew.
Well, I've got a dubbel brewed with it on the warm side that's got more banana aroma than a Queensland cyclone path.

If it's fruity aroma's you're after, stay away from Brew Cellar's "Wheat Yeast" - mine came out bland as anything...

BB

Its K97 any way.
K97 smells and tastes ok from primary in its early days, but ends up drying out the beer and leaving you with a bland beer,all the sexy subtlties of a wheaty dissapear.It also throws a massive sediment that i found cloude the beer excessively(even for a wheat) and hindered the flava.

Maybe you could reculture from a hoegarden as a cheap option.Its gonna provide a few more real wheaty flavas than a dry option and you wont have to shell out on a smack pack,also the sample stubby will give you an idea of flava profile.

Great idea! does hoegaarden use that as a secondary conditioning yeast or is it the same as their primary yeast?

have you (or anyone) used it?

cheers, ash

Back