Dry Run Of A Mash Tun....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish13

Reaction score
I insulated my mash pot today and did a dry run. threw in some decent amount of water and threw in the thermometer and set the timer for an hour. Initial temp of the tun was 65 degree's and the temp after an hour was 58 degree's. I do understand the grain will hold temp better but is 7 degree's in an hour unacceptable? or should i insulate some more...

It has 10mm epdm414 foam wrapped it and then a heat shield on the outside of it, for 20 bucks with adhesive backing on it couldn't say no.

DSC00840.JPG

How is the deadspace in the top of the pot fish? If its a decent amount throwing a layer of alfoil over the top of the water/mash helps alot. Also did you heat the water in the pot or just dump it in from another source. If so the pot could have absorbed some of the heat and preheating would help if you are transferring.

How is the deadspace in the top of the pot fish? If its a decent amount throwing a layer of alfoil over the top of the water/mash helps alot. Also did you heat the water in the pot or just dump it in from another source. If so the pot could have absorbed some of the heat and preheating would help if you are transferring.

^That.

and also, yep, with grain, it will hold temp A LOT better than just water. Id have thought a smallish (not trying to be rude) mash tun like yours will most likely lose a little more heat over an hour as opposed to a larger tun due to thermal mass of a larger mash but i reckon your pot will work well mate!

You MIGHT lose a degree or two, but i'd doubt youd lose any more than that. You've got what looks like some pretty good insulation material wrapped around it.

I think so i just put a layer over the lid. Now i think about i will get some more adhesive foam and then run a layer of al foil to separate it. The water was straight from the kettle. I think when i am ready for the real test i will put some water at 70 degree;s in there first to heat it up and then transfer it back to the HLT. that way the temp loss should be less. Although after 90 minutes it was holding 56 degree's so thats a bonus...
BTW the in laws provided the shower head :)

^That.

and also, yep, with grain, it will hold temp A LOT better than just water. Id have thought a smallish (not trying to be rude) mash tun like yours will most likely lose a little more heat over an hour as opposed to a larger tun due to thermal mass of a larger mash but i reckon your pot will work well mate!

You MIGHT lose a degree or two, but i'd doubt youd lose any more than that. You've got what looks like some pretty good insulation material wrapped around it.

yeah stupid me wrapped the 15L pot instead of the 20L pot... I'll head back to clarke rubber later on when i need to wrap the 20L pot with even thicker material. see if that helps even more..

My 20L pot only loses 3 deg in an hour while mashing. All I do is wrap it in 3 beach towels. Easy. :beer:

Back