Dry Out Brown Ale after Pitching Windsor?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankinoz

Reaction score
I've tasted ales fermented with Windsor, like the flavours it brings, and am thinking about using it for the first time, specifically in a nut brown ale.

Tentative recipe: OG of 1.048. Grist MO, 10% British medium crystal for caramel, a little pale choc, and maybe a little Victory to accent the nuttiness. Mash high for body. Start fermentation at 18 and let rise late to 20.

But since Windsor attenuates low, that sounds like a recipe for a tasty pancake syrup. I want it a little sweet, but not cloying. I could:

1. Pitch good ole Notty as fermentation slows, except Notty might dry it out too much.

2. Pitch a dry yeast whose attentuation lies between Windsor and Notty. BRY-97? S-04?

3. Rethink the whole approach.

Suggestions?

Could pitch both Windsor & US-05/notto at the same time. Easy peasy.

Note that it is usually best to pitch them both at the same time, unless you are going to re-oxygenate / aerate, as the first pitch will consume all the oxygen in solution. Other option if you are going to wait a few days is to get a decent starter of the second yeast going, and pitch it at high krausen.

Latest posts

Back