Dry July Conclusion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armstrong

Reaction score
Hi All,

Firstly, I'd like to thank, from the bottom of my heart, all those who made donations toward this great cause.

This year the movement made $2,177,545.78 for the benefit of adult cancer patients throughtout Australia.

On a sadder note, I am incredibly disappointed at the response of the brewing community!! Considering that we boast a membership of over 15,000 people, I personally expected a lot more. The old joke that brewer's are a bunch of tight arsed barstards rang true as far as I'm concerned, which is surprising when you don't have to look far to find someone you know who has been affected by this disease! Be proud everybody!

Names of donators will be put into a draw on Monday and I will post the winner of the Keg System then.

Shawn Miles

Your cynicism might be unwarranted at least in its entirety - Australia's Biggest Brewday had a reasonably good response as far as I recall. Anyway good on you for doing it - if I win the keg system, sell it and use the proceeds to increase the donation to the charity.

Hopefully next year more people will either put their hand up to go sober for a month or (much more likely for me) donate/sponsor a participant.

- if I win the keg system, sell it and use the proceeds to increase the donation to the charity.

In the true spirit of it ... thank you! Too bad more aren't like you

Also worth keeping in mind that there is a large number of charities that are vying for the few spare dollars that us brewers may have. Just because people have contributed to this particular charity, doesn't mean that brewers are 'a bunch of tight arsed bastards' - they may be donating to other causes that are closer to their hearts...

sap.

And some of us are already involved in other charities, such as Relay for Life. I personally, although I would love to be able to do so, just cannot give to them all.

QldKev

Hi All,

On a sadder note, I am incredibly disappointed at the response of the brewing community!! Considering that we boast a membership of over 15,000 people, I personally expected a lot more. The old joke that brewer's are a bunch of tight arsed barstards rang true as far as I'm concerned, which is surprising when you don't have to look far to find someone you know who has been affected by this disease! Be proud everybody!

Shawn Miles
Where were you when I did Febfast?
OK - I'd better report back.
I finished Feb off without a beer. No problem, bar the 'situation' problem. Back in earlier posts I said about BBQ, pool, heat etc just a real recipe for a beer. But I made it with no cravings. That wasnt what FEBFAST was about anyway. If you really want to know, go back to the start and follow my links.

My target was $200.
Didnt make it, but I tried and feel I did my bit.
I cant mention everyone on here that did sponsor me, we dont have all night ala the Oscars.
Oh F it - Yes I will:

In best Oscar winning acceptance speech voice:
"I'd like to thank Rukh,"
Yep, that's it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Rukh.

Without Rukh I would not have made it to $65 (including my entry fee!)

And some of us are already involved in other charities, such as Relay for Life. I personally, although I would love to be able to do so, just cannot give to them all.

QldKev

Agreed, I get 3-4 cold calls a week trying to raise money for charity (sometimes cancer charities) and I try to donate something to at least on of those, it's not much but it's something.

However in my opinion it's very poor form referring to brewers on AHB who didn't donate to your money raising efforts as "tight arsed bastards" as you really don't know what they have donated to over the last week or two.

Anyway congratulations with your efforts at money raising and it's good to see people like you having a go.

Cheers
Andrew

My 29 year old daughter is getting over cervical cancer.Thanks Guys

i usually hold true to what my mum used to tell me of if you havnt anything nice to say dont say anything

but your post has annoyed the shit out of me

i personally am looking down the barrel of losing my house because i cant afford the friggin morgage anymore yet still i was able to scrape and i mean SCRAPE lose change together to give to princess margaret hospital (a childrens hospital in Perth) $18.50 at the beggining of the week

you dont know me from a bag of shit, or what ive donated and you dare to come on to here and call me a "tight ass *******"

and yes i did have a close friend who DIED of cancer

F#@* you and the horse you rode in on buddy! if you cant collect for a charity without abusing those who cant afford or choose not to donate to your particular cause then dont collect at all

edit: to those who did donate i tip my hat cancer is terrible and unforgiving disease to which one day we will hopefully be rid of

However in my opinion it's very poor form referring to brewers on AHB who didn't donate to your money raising efforts as "tight arsed bastards" as you really don't know what they have donated to over the last week or two.

Anyway congratulations with your efforts at money raising and it's good to see people like you having a go.

Agree, well said!

However, after spending two weeks completing unfinished refubishments to my terminally ill, cancer suffering father's house, and having paid 16K plus for my wife's third brain tumour opperation this year, I too see the original post as too strongly worded to say the least when directed at AHB members.

In conclusion, your actions mean well for all of those that fall victim to this disase :icon_cheers: .

Hirns

I also did Dry July and raised a few hundred dollars for a great cause. But i would never EVER come on AHB and call evey one tight assed *******. What a stupid thing to do.

Shawn,
Well done on your contribution. Judging by the tone of your post and that it's no longer July I can only assume that you were close to the bottom of a keg when you drafted it and you're probably curled up, drooling on the couch by now. Your sweeping generalizations are offensive and crude, you make a lot of assumptions. I won't go in to which charities I support, how much of a difference I've made or how many friends I've watched die but I will say f*ck you - people are free to choose which initiatives they support and they do it to make a difference, not for bragging rights.

This year the movement made $2,177,545.78 for the benefit of adult cancer patients throughtout Australia.

Names of donators will be put into a draw on Monday and I will post the winner of the Keg System then.

Shawn Miles

The stuff in red is the important part!

Collecting for charity is not a competition. And its poor form to have a go at people for not donating, how about you just thank those that did.

Shawn, I have to admit due to tight funds and what not, the main reason I donated was the lure of that keg system.
However after reading this thread, I'd feel guilty and somewhat dirty pouring myself a pint if I win.
As per Manticle, If my number gets drawn, please donate the proceeds to Dry July, where it's needed more.
Pete

Shawn,
Well done on your contribution. Judging by the tone of your post and that it's no longer July I can only assume that you were close to the bottom of a keg when you drafted it and you're probably curled up, drooling on the couch by now. Your sweeping generalizations are offensive and crude, you make a lot of assumptions. I won't go in to which charities I support, how much of a difference I've made or how many friends I've watched die but I will say f*ck you - people are free to choose which initiatives they support and they do it to make a difference, not for bragging rights.

Thanks for that.... I know it was not direct support but I was holding my tongue to say the least in my innitial response..... I too am now at risk of losing my house and one of the reasons besides this being a GREAT HOBY IS THE FACT THAT I NEED TO BE A TIGHT ARSED ******* TO SAVE NOT ONLY MY WIFE, and support my father, but still be able to pay the morgage and feed the kids!!!

Hirns

If you don't have anything nice to say about people, then don't. As per other peoples comments, you do know f**k all about the other members of this site and what they might be going through on a daily basis (eg they might have their own charities that they are supporting or are going through hardship and simply can't afford it) so to call everyone tight arsed is a big call from an online internet user. :beerbang:

Thanks a bunch Armstrong for adding to the ever growing list of things to feel depressed and guilty about <_<

Thanks a bunch Armstrong for adding to the ever growing list of things to feel depressed and guilty about <_<

yeah. i didnt even realize dry july was a charity thing. just thought it was a way for a bunch of self righteous people to make themselves feel better than everyone else.
on the bright side two million ain't bad for one month considering the economy.
joe

How Rude.

Wonder if we will see Armstrong again ever??

How Rude.

Wonder if we will see Armstrong again ever??

I hope so!!!!! Like I said, I still believe that his heart was in the right place!!!!!

Hirns :icon_drunk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back