Dry hopping ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BURGO817

Reaction score
So Im running 3 x Coopers P/A side by side with the intention of dry hopping each one 24hrs before bottling.

I’m sure it’s been done or attempted. Can anyone give me advice on how to best do this.

My method will be as simple as;
1. Open fermenter
2. Sprinkle hops over the top surface
3. Close fermenter

?

I have used the same method before with good results, there is less mess with tea bagged hops, or similar, if you can do it. Just keep it clean, open lid the minimum possible and for least time. As above 24hrs is not long I normally try for 3-4 days.

I bought some Large Tea Strainers off ebay (11cm) for my dry hops. I'm yet to use them but they look the goods! - no mess, no fuss.

your method is fine and it's all I would do.

strainers/bags etc are good to stop trub building up, but you don't really need it unless you're dry hopping with copious amounts of hops - for a NEIPA or something.

I bought some Large Tea Strainers off ebay (11cm) for my dry hops. I'm yet to use them but they look the goods! - no mess, no fuss.
I had an issue with these tea strainers when dry hopping in larger amounts; the hop pellets would swell to fill the strainer and become ineffective. That 11cm job looks pretty big, but if you wanted to go one bigger, try this - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Homebre...lter-7x18cm-/332161744116?hash=item4d5661fcf4
These bad boys are great. Boil to sanitise.

nylon stockings from the supermarket. Cut off the require length of leg, tie a knot it one end, fill them up, tie another knot.

You can sanitise first with star san or by boiling.

I'd recommend you throw a sanitised stainless object in there as well to weigh them down and keep them submerged, else they'll float.

Works great for small quantities right up to NEIPA levels of hopping.

nylon stockings from the supermarket. Cut off the require length of leg, tie a knot it one end, fill them up, tie another knot.

You can sanitise first with star san or by boiling.

I'd recommend you throw a sanitised stainless object in there as well to weigh them down and keep them submerged, else they'll float.

Works great for small quantities right up to NEIPA levels of hopping.

Ok, so the stockings work with no issues?!

I was thinking something like that but was unsure about the material crossover.
Also the brews are 25lt each - how many grams of hops do I need to use per batch roughly?

yeah and you can pack more in there.

Also the brews are 25lt each - how many grams of hops do I need to use per batch roughly?
Light coloured pantyhose - no issues, just boil first to get any dye out.
Fishnets - the hops fall through - best leave them for SWMBO for date night.

2g/litre DH for 3 days would normally give plenty of aroma punch to easily tell the difference between the hop varieties. 1g/l will be more subtle, but it all depends on what you're wanting to achieve.

Also, I don't put any weights in. Once the hops get saturated in the stocking, it drops to the bottom. It might just take a bit longer.

No issues. Just check what they're made of, but I just got the basic ones from Coles and they were Nylon and Elastene. I was worried about the die, so boiled some first to test, and no issues there at all. So now I just use star san to sanitise before filling.

As for how much, how long is a piece of string? Depends what you like? I added 350g Citra dry hop to a 20 litre batch the other day, just because I could. This is way over the top, but was fun.

As a general rule, 10g per litre kettle and 10g per litre dry hop is a very, very hoppy beer. Just start low and build up from there.

I cut up a Chux superwipe and staple it into a big square tea bag thing with the hops stapled in. I make 4 out of each one, all double layered. Works a treat.

I just chuck 'em in commando. Even with highly hopped beers, if you're careful with your transfer (and cold crashing) you'll get bugger all into the final package.

I've had hundreds of grams in the fermenter and had no issues with keg posts clogging. If you're worried, you can attach a stainless less scourer to the end of your liquid dip tube as a ghetto filter (just boil the dickens out of it first to sanitise).

upload_2018-2-10_12-11-27.png

I used to dry hop at the end of fermentation , but after a couple of infections , decided to give it a miss :eek:

I just chuck 'em in commando. Even with highly hopped beers, if you're careful with your transfer (and cold crashing) you'll get bugger all into the final package.

I've had hundreds of grams in the fermenter and had no issues with keg posts clogging. If you're worried, you can attach a stainless less scourer to the end of your liquid dip tube as a ghetto filter (just boil the dickens out of it first to sanitise).

View attachment 111587

great idea, might give it a go!!

just make sure you also clean any machine oil off the scrubber from the manufacturer process by giving them a good soak boil in some detergent as well before sanitizing

Latest posts

Back