Dry hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
Cold crash or time, crashing is much faster though, 1 week at 1-2'c and it should be near Crystal
Thanx Yob, from what I've been reading that sounds right, but wasn't entirely confident. I'm ok with the beer not being 100% clear, just want to avoid larger gunk getting into the bottles - next time I'll be using bags to avoid the problem.

Oh yeah? That gives me lots more confidence with this batch, much appreciated.

Yob said:
I never bother with bags in primary, I just rely on crashing to drop it all.
Likewise.

There was this one time (not at bandcamp) where I had an immense amount of hop matter 450g in the kettle and 100g dry, it was so much hoppage that while a crash worked some stuff would have made its way in to bottles.

This helped with sorting that out.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-13mm-poly-inline-barbed-filter_p3127265

I only use it in extreme cases where there's a mound of hop matter on the base or if I've added something else weird like added 4kg of raspberries or 200g coffee.

f9910ec9-49df-4934-94e6-bd23798c60eb.jpg

You can also use good old gelatin after cold crashing to drag more floaties out of suspension.
However I've had far better results using this in a keg where you can up end the thing a couple of times which presumably disperses the gelatin more evenly through the beer.

Gelatine is good at dropping out suspended yeast.
I wouldn't expect it to have much effect on hop matter though.

The only times ive had trouble with hops in suspension is with flowers.

Pellets, i throw those babies in there and let them swim freely.

Flowers, I bag, or ive got to beat the vat (not a euphemism) while cold crashing to get them to drop.

Just bottled this batch after cold crashing for 2-3 days, was around 2-4 degrees through that time. I didn't look at it through clear glass, but noticed a lot of sediment at the bottom of the fermenter and seemed very clear in the bottle. Wasn't thinking of doing it but I'm glad I did, worked a treat. Cheers for the advice

damoninja said:
Likewise.

There was this one time (not at bandcamp) where I had an immense amount of hop matter 450g in the kettle and 100g dry, it was so much hoppage that while a crash worked some stuff would have made its way in to bottles.

This helped with sorting that out.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-13mm-poly-inline-barbed-filter_p3127265

I only use it in extreme cases where there's a mound of hop matter on the base or if I've added something else weird like added 4kg of raspberries or 200g coffee.

f9910ec9-49df-4934-94e6-bd23798c60eb.jpg

I, at times, use lots of hops in the boil and went and bought one of these fine conical catering strainers for $40. Best investment ever. They come in a few different widths and a couple of mesh sizes. It sits nicely on-top of the fermenter and is solidly made - I can push and scrape without a worry.

Yes it takes a little longer when straining the wort into the fermenter. But it's worth it's weight in gold. It takes some much out of the brew.

Cheers,
Pete

Conical-Strainer1.jpg

Gigantorus said:
I, at times, use lots of hops in the boil and went and bought one of these fine conical catering strainers for $40. Best investment ever. They come in a few different widths and a couple of mesh sizes. It sits nicely on-top of the fermenter and is solidly made - I can push and scrape without a worry.

Yes it takes a little longer when straining the wort into the fermenter. But it's worth it's weight in gold. It takes some much out of the brew.

Cheers,
Pete
That filter I pointed at is more for when there's hops in to the fermenter such as a big ass dry hop. I like the idea of the cone shaped strainer I'll check those out.

I use a hop ball. Cost a fiver at the LHBS. Keeps 95% of the crud in the one spot. Saves you being so nervous about knocking the barrel after a cold crash too.
High-quality-Stainless-Steel-Hop-Steeper-Herb-Ball-dry-hopping-home-brew-63mm-65mm.jpg

Back