Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not more to it than that.....actually less to it.

Just add your hops, whether it's in the tea bag thing or just chuck them in DRY...

Opening the lid is ok if you are careful. there will be a nice little protective layer of CO2 in your fermenter by the end of fermentation (or close to it). Bugs don't like CO2. They particularly don't like an environment where alcohol and CO2 are present. And hops are naturally contain some antibacterial qualities so theres no risk from that point of view.

Everytime you open the lid you are potentially creating a problem, so take the necessary pre-cautions.
Do it carefully, don't cough into your fermenter, and if you've picked your nose or scratched your arse before doing it, it would be best to wash your hands first.

Nice one, thanks Big Nath. I took the easy way out and just lobbed it in.

Thanks for the other ideas on dry hopping :lol: - I know, a bit quick to bandy the lingo about without really knowing what the hell I was on about!!

I checked and the hop tea bag I was given was Cascade. Here's hoping it turns out ok.

Thanks again.

good man.

I've been following Palmer's advice, which is echoed by many member around here, and dropping the hops in once the krausen (foam) starts to fall, and the ferment subsides and goes into another stage... seems to work okay.

Back