Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazy

Reaction score
I love a good hop aroma in my all garin beers but have never tried hopped before. Have read alot and have a few questions.
Does the ratio of 1g of hops to 1 ltr of wort sound about right ?
Was going to use a sanatized tea ball and add to primary after fermenatation has slowed or wait and rack then add to secondary?
Does the lenght of time make much of a difference when dry hopping ie one week slight aroma, 1month too strong etc ?
Plugs, pellets or flowers?
Thanks in advance, I relize that this info will be on the forum somewhere no doubt but being a computer gimp I find the search function like the Carlton Fottball Club, bloody frustrarting.
Cheers

In short answer to your questions

1. 1g per litre is ok, but I would consider this to be the minimum, dont be afraid to go up to 5g per litre for a truely awesome hop aroma!! ;)

2. Just throw the pellets/plugs/flowers (either will be fine, use whatever you can get) loose into the fermenter after about 5 days of fermentation, then to get all the crap to drop out afterwards crash cool the fermenter for a few days at 0*c

3. As a rule I dry hop for 7 days with NZ hops and 10 days for US hops, any less than this and I feel you dont get your true value out of the hops, however some will say 3 days is more than enough...

Cheers

In short answer to your questions

1. 1g per litre is ok, but I would consider this to be the minimum, dont be afraid to go up to 5g per litre for a truely awesome hop aroma!! ;)

2. Just throw the pellets/plugs/flowers (either will be fine, use whatever you can get) loose into the fermenter after about 5 days of fermentation, then to get all the crap to drop out afterwards crash cool the fermenter for a few days at 0*c

3. As a rule I dry hop for 7 days with NZ hops and 10 days for US hops, any less than this and I feel you dont get your true value out of the hops, however some will say 3 days is more than enough...

Cheers

agree with the first two points. As for the how long part, all you need to do is take a sample from your fermenter every couple of days. Once it reaches the aroma/flavour you like your all done. I'd rack into another fermentor or keg at this stage. I find leaving dry hops in too long can impart a bit of a harsh astringent note.

Fair call yumyum, the reason I dry hop for so long is I like to get a decent amount of flavour out of the dry hops, some could call it astringent but I love it :icon_drool2:

I did an experiment a few months back with a Cream Ale, bittering addition in the kettle only and dry hopped 10 litres with 100gms of US goodness.. The result was not only a pungent hop aroma, but a massive hop flavour also, layers of it, all purely from the dry hop addition!! :icon_drunk:

Rousing the fermenter every day or every few days can help as well

Latest posts

Back