Dry hopping with Citra

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruer

Reaction score
Hey all. Brewing Brewdog citra IPA, but want to step it up with a dry hop of citra too. Anyone have a recommended dry hopping rate for citra? I was thinking around 66g for 23L for 3-4 days.

I just got my first batch of citra and brewed an IPA and APA with it. The APA was 40 grams each of Simcoe/Mosaic/Citra at 10 minutes and 50grams of same dry hop. It's a lovely fruity flavour and aroma. My IPA was 50grams of Crosby experimental hop #6 (which is described as big, dank and bold) and 20grams of galaxy at 20 minutes with 40 grams of citra at 10 minutes. It's still fermenting so not ready for a dry hop yet. But god damn they both taste and smell exactly the same - it's fruity-sweet citra all the way. So my advice would be to just go easy with the citra because it's potent shit. I think I'll just dry hop the IPA with 50 grams of the experimental hop to try to override the citra somewhat.

Bruer said:
115g? Thats 5g/L.
5g/L is a reasonable amount for an IPA IMO.

My last batch had 160g dry hops in total (80 at 6-days before bottling and 80 at 3-days before bottling). Could probably have used more.

EDIT: By "reasonable" I don't mean it's a lot, I mean it's fair enough; a good starting point.

Coodgee said:
I just got my first batch of citra and brewed an IPA and APA with it. The APA was 40 grams each of Simcoe/Mosaic/Citra at 10 minutes and 50grams of same dry hop. It's a lovely fruity flavour and aroma. My IPA was 50grams of Crosby experimental hop #6 (which is described as big, dank and bold) and 20grams of galaxy at 20 minutes with 40 grams of citra at 10 minutes. It's still fermenting so not ready for a dry hop yet. But god damn they both taste and smell exactly the same - it's fruity-sweet citra all the way. So my advice would be to just go easy with the citra because it's potent shit. I think I'll just dry hop the IPA with 50 grams of the experimental hop to try to override the citra somewhat.
I cube hopped an Aussie Lager with a touch of Citra, only about a teaspoon in each cube, to give it a certain hint of "je ne sais quoi"

Citra Lager, it was the dominant flavour.

I find citra an awesome dry hop and generally use in the range of 1.5 - 2.5 g/l. Personally I find this provides plenty of aroma without becoming a fruit salad.

Albainian said:
I find citra an awesome dry hop and generally use in the range of 1.5 - 2.5 g/l. Personally I find this provides plenty of aroma without becoming a fruit salad.
Me too. Although I usually brew Pales, so for an IPA I'd double those rates, especially for something with "Citra" in the name.

Lost my post.. Do you keg or bottle? If you keg, go light, if it's not enough add more to the keg. In s hop sock of course...

If you bottle, take a punt and adjust to suit desire next batch.

Thanks everyone! Ended up going 2.5g/L for 3 days. Was wanting to be a bit on the cautious side. We'll wait and see but tasting and smelling the samples it looks like it's going to be amazing.

Latest posts

Back