Dry hopping when the Krausen won't drop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisispants

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a blonde ale using Danstar West Coast Ale dry yeast. It's been going great guns so far.... I've done 2 SG readings 2 days in a row, both reading 1.008. It's been fermenting for 7 days. There's no air lock activity.... these factors make me think fermentation has finished.

However, there's a monster Krausen that doesn't look even close to dropping.

I'm keen to dry hop (I guess it's not going to be a traditional blonde ale) with some citra, is this krausen going to cause any trouble with dry hopping? My plan was to dry hop for 3-4 days then cold crash for 3-4 days.

What should I do? Cheers.

Just throw 'em in, they'll make their way through krausen easy enough.

I find a few of the US yeasts have persistent krausen after reaching FG. As above - chuck them in.

Again, a quick search answers my impending queries to the letter! I also have a monster Krausen (US-05) but just launched the cascade and galaxy pellets in. Smells amazing! Cheers

It is likely that the dry hops will aid in the krausen dropping. Has done for me in the past.

Good call, I’ll keep a beady eye on it.

I would just throw in but another option is to cold crash slightly (4-5 deg. C) to drop it out somewhat.

My rule is to leave cold crash until the krausen falls in. The yeast can still be active even if gravity is terminal. They may be feeding on the last bit of diacytal and other by byproducts to finish the beer. Add the hops and crash in 3 or 4 days

Latest posts

Back