Dry Hopping - when, how much and how?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mixed opinions on PoR.
I'd point out that James Squires have used it heavily in one of their early Hop Thief iterations. So I'd guess it may work well. Give it a crack and report!!

kaiserben said:
But this time: tonight I boiled a hop sock (in napisan), then rinsed it in tap water and squeezed out excess water, then immersed it in no-rinse san for a few minutes. I then added 60g hop pellets, tied the sock off with plenty of room for expansion, then chucked it directly into fermenter. The sock dropped without needing anything extra in it to weigh it down. Pretty happy with how simple that process was.

I plan to drain the fermenter (via its tap and some hose) into a bottling bucket on Sunday (so dry hops will have 5 days to do its thing). I will just recover the sock when cleaning out the fermenter afterwards.

Am I on the right track? Or is there something I'm doing that is a major no-no?
To follow up: everything above worked well and the results were great. I'm probably hoping to get a bit more aroma for what I'm chasing, but I'm well on my way there.

Silly question I have a beer that is already in the keg and carbed and I am thinking it is just missing a little ! Is it too late to dry hop, will the CO2 go crazy if I throw it in now ?

skb said:
Silly question I have a beer that is already in the keg and carbed and I am thinking it is just missing a little ! Is it too late to dry hop, will the CO2 go crazy if I throw it in now ?
Nah, I've done it heaps......go hard! I usually put the hops in a bit of stocking, let them warm up to room temp, pop the keg lid (leaving a bit of co2 trickling in), and chuck them in. Have used a teaspoon before to get them to sink.....but have found a few dunks of the bag I'd enough to wet them enough to sink into the beer.

Goes stoopid hoppy and grassy for a few days, then settles down.

thats my mission tonight then !

So I have read this entire forum from beginning to end and found no mention of lagers or pilseners or of the classic noble hop Czech Saaz of which I am a massive fan. Having finished the build of my 3v herms brewing system, I am up to my 4th of 5 Vienna lagers to dial in my mash temps and at the same time have been playing around with my hope rates. These have been Czech Saaz and Hallertau Mittlefrau. The grain bill has been the only constant. Whilst I have been happy with the results so far, I am not getting the spicyness and the aroma of the Saaz as much as I like and was thinking of going with dry hopping to get this. So my question is, does anyone have any experience in this area?

madhomebrewer said:
So I have read this entire forum from beginning to end and found no mention of lagers or pilseners or of the classic noble hop Czech Saaz of which I am a massive fan. Having finished the build of my 3v herms brewing system, I am up to my 4th of 5 Vienna lagers to dial in my mash temps and at the same time have been playing around with my hope rates. These have been Czech Saaz and Hallertau Mittlefrau. The grain bill has been the only constant. Whilst I have been happy with the results so far, I am not getting the spicyness and the aroma of the Saaz as much as I like and was thinking of going with dry hopping to get this. So my question is, does anyone have any experience in this area?
What time are your hop additions during the boil? Rarely see dry hopping for pilsners.

I have experience dry hopping with saaz, tett and styrians. Styrians works well. The others don't.

Try it for yourself. Everyone's palate differs.

madhomebrewer said:
First wort hopping has worked well in my faux lagers with Saaz. Give it a go if you haven't already .Tastes a bit different to just adding to the boil imo. May be what you are after.

superstock said:
How important is it to sink a hop bag? Eventhough I have a 25mm marble in mine it has stayed on the surface.
Would be interesting to do a side-by-side experiment determining the difference of a hop-sock weighed down to one just floating on top to see if there is any difference in taste/aroma.

Back