Dry Hopping Post-fermentation: Will It Do Anything?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82Mike

Reaction score
Hi

I made an ESB wort kit Creatures Pale Ale- it had 12g of Cascade finishing hops and, as per the instructions, I steeped it in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes and pitched it into the wort just before the yeast.

I think I've pretty much reached FG now (10.12) having started at 10.48. The wort tastes quite bitter - which I was expecting and am predicting it will mellow in a few weeks - but there's not as much 'cascade' aroma as I was hoping for. Would there be any advantage in tossing another bag of Cascade into the wort now (without steeping first) and leaving it for a few days before kegging it up?

Would this be likely to increase the aroma without making it more bitter?

Thanks.

Yes, yes, and yes.
During fermentation the CO2 does remove some of the hop aroma.

Rule 1 of brewing: If in doubt, add more hops.

Dry hopping should only be done post-fermentation.

Dry hopping should only be done post-fermentation.

Thanks for clarifying. But, as I say, my wort is definitely bitter enough already. Does dry hopping increase bitterness further- or just add aroma?

It changes flavour some (to varying degress depending on hop/amounts/contact time) but more so aroma. Bitterness will be fine (or at least basically unchanged).

Lots of people dry hop before fermentation is entirely complete. Don't think like it is a rule that it only happens once primary is complete.

[EDIT: so many typos!]

I find dry hopping before the end of primary gets most of the aroma, and none of the grassiness.

Dry hopping after the yeast have become inactive gives me vegetal tastes.

"Dry Hopping Post-fermentation: Will It Do Anything?"

Dry hopping is usually done post fermentation. And yes it will do something.. that's why people dry hop. It adds more aroma and flavour than bitterness

I find dry hopping before the end of primary gets most of the aroma, and none of the grassiness.

Dry hopping after the yeast have become inactive gives me vegetal tastes.

I found the same, I have done 2 IPAs which were identical apart from when I threw in hops and I can taste the difference between the two (one is grassy and one isn't)

I found the same, I have done 2 IPAs which were identical apart from when I threw in hops and I can taste the difference between the two (one is grassy and one isn't)
So when exactly did you add your hops? Before final gravity was reached? How soon before? This idea of dry hopping before fermentation is finished being superior is new to me.

So when exactly did you add your hops? Before final gravity was reached? How soon before? This idea of dry hopping before fermentation is finished being superior is new to me.

Before - 2 days before fermentation had finished

After - 2 days after fermentation had finished

more frequent dry hopping after half ferment for bigger beers APA AIPA IIPA), half of OG, 3 days later another dose, 3 days later another dose keg/bottle after an overnight sit... it really depends on the beer, that was a hopping schedule for a recent IIPA... matter of fact Ive got one in the fridge.. gotta go :lol:

I've dry hopped a 12g bag of Cascade hops in 10 hours ago and already there's a noticeable increase in the aroma and the bitterness has mellowed a whole lot. I am thinking of chucking another bag (or even two).

You used the word "only", proudbag.

My understanding is that bitterness comes from the Alpha Acids in hops. These are isomerised at higher temperatures (ie when boiling the wort), but the aroma comes more from the Beta Acids, which don't isomerise. So i typically dry-hop with hi Beta-Acid hops at the end of fermentation, so that the production of CO2 doesn't bleed out the aromas.

Aroma and flavour are the same thing. Your nose does most of the "tasting" - it's why you can't taste shit when you have a head cold and why Aussie Lagers are best drank out of the bottle.

Hop flavour and aroma comes from things ending in "...ene" like Humulene (bitterness comes from things ending in "...one" like Humulone).

http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2009/sewal...stry%20101.html

Aroma and flavour are the same thing. Your nose does most of the "tasting" - it's why you can't taste shit when you have a head cold and why Aussie Lagers are best drank out of the bottle.

Hop flavour and aroma comes from things ending in "...ene" like Humulene (bitterness comes from things ending in "...one" like Humulone).

http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2009/sewal...stry%20101.html

Aroma and taste the same thing?? I can smell (and taste ;) bullshit!

My understanding is that bitterness comes from the Alpha Acids in hops. These are isomerised at higher temperatures (ie when boiling the wort), but the aroma comes more from the Beta Acids, which don't isomerise. So i typically dry-hop with hi Beta-Acid hops at the end of fermentation, so that the production of CO2 doesn't bleed out the aromas.

Good solid answer based on scientific fact!

Back