Dry hopping on day 0 and pressure fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewLizard

Reaction score
Does anyone routinely dry hop on day 0, i.e. at time of yeast pitch?

Normally you wouldn't, as (biotransformation conjecture aside) the CO2 from primary fermentation is said to drive off volatile aromatic compounds in hops. However, if you're pressure fermenting, would it be expected to mitigate this significantly? There are lots of threads about dry hop timing, but few in the context of pressure fermentation.

Full disclosure: the reason I ask is that I had a magnet-related accident and my hops fell in the wort today, on day 0. :D

I did on my last lager brew, it was the next day but within 24hrs. Krausen went wild for next 24hrs then calmed down, normally i don't dry hop lagers but i was experimenting with a blended brew.

Brew lizard, that happened to me when the bag just reached the brew and then soaked up and exceeded the magnet strength so fell in.
I was doing an NZ pilsner, I fished it out, popped those hops in the freezer and replaced back into the pressure fermenter in two bags.
Now I use those rare earth magnets from old hard drives and they are wickedly strong. I don't release the hops but just drag them down into the beer and then give them a swish daily at least to mix it up a bit. At the end i then raise them out of the beer to drip " dry " before transfer or if serving from the fermenter.
I expect you'll get a different flavour from the hops, could consider another bag with less hops in put inside now on a magnet and then slide in on the intended profile.

Keep us updated.

Latest posts

Back