Dry Hopping In Cc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I racked a brew into CC today and of course had a little sample , the hops were not quite enough so I just dropped a few pellets into the CC cube.

Usually I would at least make a hop tea , will the oils still extract into the wort?

Never tried it before but , what the hell you'll never never know

i've read some bad reports about dry hopping in CC. If i remember rightly it causes a 'grassy' flavour :huh:

So when is the best time to dry hop? I'm about to do a 3kg E.S.B. Cezch Pilsener and i got 20grams of Saaz to dry hop (more for aroma). I was going too let it ferment out for a week or so and then rack to a second fermenter and put in the fridge for 2 weeks at about 1 or 2 deg's. When should i sprinkle the Saaz in?

secondary is the best time sjw.
let us all know how it turns out batz.i read somewhere along time ago that people have even added a few hop pellets to each bottle.dont remember if they said how it turned out.
btw if you can add hop plugs to the keg cant see why you cant add it to the cc cube.could be wrong but <_<

cheers
big d

I am no expert but I have had mixed results, the worst being a taste very similar to lawnmower cuttings. However the good news for me was that the lawnmower taste did go away after a few weeks ... I think if you are going to dry hop in CC then you may need to be prepared to let it sit in the keg another couple of weeks.

Someone else also told me (posted here) that unless you leave the beer on the hops for a couple of weeks you are wasting your time and the hops.

Personally I have not been overly impressed with my attempts and I just hit it with heaps at flameout if I want to be sure :) hate cleaning out hops from the CC jerry.

If that was your worst result, jasony, (and if I'm right in assuming that was the one you brought to clancy's in jan) then dry-hopping has done alright by you. Yours was my favourite homebrew of the day.

My only use of dry-hopping hasn't been dry at all - I steep the hops in a mug of boiling water for a couple of minutes and then tip that into the seconday. Sometimes need a second rinse of water as the pellets collapse into glug. With that technique, a small amount (say 20-35g) seems to give better aroma compared to the same amount put into the brew at flame out. I get hops clogging my bottling valve and a few pieces sitting in the bottle sediment, but not too much hassle.

Yep I have always steeped in the boiling water. The one I bought to clancy's wasn't dry hopped ... worst effort dry hopping was with 2 plugs of EKG ... lawnmower taste

I agree with Deebee - that is exactly what i do...

Steep in a ss mug of boiling water for 2-3 mins.

Never had a problem...

What till you guys try my kegged Barossa Hopped Cream Ale...

big d said:
i read somewhere along time ago that people have even added a few hop pellets to each bottle.dont remember if they said how it turned out.
Some guys on the www.ratebeer.com homebrew forums tried this.

It turned out to be a complete failure. The particles from the hop pellets cling to the co2 bubbles, causing the hops to rise to the surface when you open the bottle. Creates a gusher! :) Its the same when you first rack a beer onto some pellet hops. They sit there floating on the surface for half a week till all the CO2 leaves the beer as fermentation ceases in secondary.

People have had success (even one US commerical brewer, I cant remember the name) with placing fresh hop flowers in the bottle though. Seems to work better as they're whole.

Back