dry hopping in a filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

0 Warning Points
Reaction score
I am considering this unit to dry hop in my fermenter directly. In the past I have dry hopped simply by adding pellets into the fermenter 5 days before racking, but I am unable to use the yeast cake afterward because of the spent hop sludge. Therefore I am wondering if this device will allow me to re-use the yeast cake by containing the spent pellets. ?

Also, how does one sanitise the cylinder prior to immersing in beer ? Boiling yes... but that's a lot of water to boil given its height. Reckon a decent spray with starsan might do the job ?

These large empty tea bags or similar work very well for dry hopping. The ones I use also easily tolerate a steep/whirlpool addition, as well as a 5 or 10 min boil. Beyond that they often break open. I like disposables.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use those stainless steel "tea infuser" mesh balls for dry hopping. They work well although you have to be careful not to put too many hops in them otherwise they get squashed in when they expand. The ones I have I can only put about 10g hops in each one, so I normally use 3 for a 30g dry hop.

wide eyed and legless said:
Bags from Aliexpress 140mm x 180mm reusable soup seasoning bags 10 for $6.00 free delivery
Link to these please?

I've used a pair of these for a couple of years (link at bottom).

I usually dry hop with around 56g pellets in a single ball, but you could probably get 84g in there and still have enough room for expansion.
I like to leave a bit of room for circulation though, so I use both balls if hopping very heavily.

People have raised concerns with corrosion with such cheap SS products, but I've had no issues at all. But, they've always been cleaned promptly after use and looked after.
I've also removed the little chain and just use a loop of sanitised fishing mono threaded through the eyelet on the top.

Recommended.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tea-Stainless-Strainer-Locking-Tea-Spice-Mesh-Stainless-Herbal-Ball-Diam-11cm-v-/321497038443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4adab77e6b

Latest posts

Back