dry hopping during cold crash and diacetal rest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearbeerbare

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Excuse my ignorance but I'm and new brewer and it's my first post.

I'm doing a Williamswarn bohemian pilsner with a saf lager yeast and it's extract.

Can states 3 days @ 15c then lift to 18c for diactal rest for a further 3 days.

I'm currently 2 days into the diactal rest. My question is when do I dry hop?

I'm planning on transferring to secondary and also doing a cold crash to 2c (that's as low as my fridge will go)

Thanks in advance

You can dry hop at any point. You can dry hop more than once. Different times and techniques give different results. Most will do it just after fermentation is complete.

What hop are you using and what effect are you after? If you want a standard bo-pils, I probably wouldn't but your palate should be your only restriction.

PS: diacetyl

I'm going for a reasonably hoppy in taste and on the nose.

I've used 50g simcoe for bittering
And plan to dry hop 80g cirta 30g fuggle and 30g motueka

So I won't have any issues if I dry hop today then transfer to secondary tomorrow and cold crash for 5 days?

I will leave old man fuggle out and increase the others to accommodate

Thanks for you're help manticle

Hey Bear. I would leave it in the fridge alot longer than that. Using the lager yeast for a fortnight at least before cold crashing.
One way of dry hopping is to do it just before the beer reaches final gravity. But there is no hard and fast rule for it.

Hey Dae,
I dry hopped last night (110g) What temp would you recommend leaving it in the fridge before cold crashing? I will leave it for another 2 weeks before cold crashing

Thanks

In following the instructions on the can did you also ferment the beer under pressure?

Wobbly

You should ensure fermentation is finished before cold crashing with a hydrometer, stabe reading for 3 days. Just leave it at 18 now, you won't help it much now.

Hi Wobbly, it was fermented in a brew barrel screw on lid and with air lock ...... so yes if that's what you mean by under pressure

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1493623690.496170.jpg

No way! I'm rolling this bad boy

Back