Dry hopping cylinder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

0 Warning Points
Reaction score
Anybody tried using one of these ?

I thought I'd give it a try, since I tend to re-use my yeast cake and while effective, loose dry hopping makes an awful mess of it.

While the volume of the cylinder can easily accommodate a decent dosage of hops (i aim for 4 g/litre) when I tried it I found very little impact on flavour after a 5 day infusion. When I pulled it out, I could see why.

The hops had floated to the top of the cylinder, expanded in the wort and formed a really tight plug. It was quite hard to remove, and the centre of the plug was just damp, clearly hardly any contact with wort achieved at all. Damn waste of hops.

Anybody had better luck with these things ?

Tks in advance....

1PCS-Dry-Hop-Filter-w-Lid-for-Cornelius-Kegs-7cm-x-30cm-300-micron-mesh-Free.jpg

I've got a couple of those.
They work OK with pellets, haven't tried flowers though.

I would like to try them out. I like to dry hop in the keg and have been using the hop ball on a chain. They are great because you load us the hops, purge the oxygen and transfer the beer. The limitation is you can only get about 30g in the ball.

I've got a couple of those.
They work OK with pellets, haven't tried flowers though.

I used pellets. As said the problem is they float to the top of the cylinder, expand and form a plug. Useless, at least for me.

Sorry, misinterpreted "loose dry hopping".
I jiggled the tube up and down a few times when it first went in but otherwise left it alone.
The pellets were wet right the way through when it came out a couple of days later.

Latest posts

Back