"dry Hopping" Coopers Pale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchy

Reaction score
I bought some POR for the 1st time today & happened to have some CPA in the fridge. I figured it would be a great idea to put 5 "carefully measured" grams of POR into a longneck & see what happens. Has anyone else tried this? Have I wasted 5g of POR & 750ml CPA? should I just drink the beer before starting a new thread?

Whilst I haven't tried this combo, I did put some simcoe pellets in to a Sierra Nevada Torpedo once. The results were massively vegetal and weedy. Not nice. Lucky I'd already drank most of the beer.

IMO no experiment is too stupid :p but I reckon 5g may be too much for 750ml... let us know once you've drunk it :D

That's like dry hoping with 150 g in a 22.5 L brew, more because in the fermenter quite a lot of the volatiles will be scrubbed out with the CO2.

Hope you like very hoppy beer!

MHB

Nick JD carried out a similar experiment on dry hopping bottles. I think he used about 2 pellets per bottle.

Varied opinions abound.

I can't find the thread but he might be kind enough to link it.

Reminds me of the hop-picking-day pictures I've seen from RedHill:
hop3.jpg

I did this in Slovenia when I found some wild hops growing at a lookout. Picked a few cones and dropped them in my supermarket beers in the campsite that night.

Added quite a bit of grassy hop character to otherwise bland beer. Although you've added more than I did.

P9080750__1024x768_.JPG

P9090762__1024x768_.JPG

Yeah, it'll be insane. I've found that kit-wise, dry-hopping at 20g/22L is usually noticable enough and anthing over 30g/22L can be quite powerful. This is especially true of those higher alpha acid hops such as PoR. In the past I have found PoR dry-hopping to be unpleasant, although I don't mind it as a bittering or flavour addition.

I'd suggest a good 'Coopers Pale' kit recipe as follows:

The 1.7kg can
500g LDME
300g white sugar
10g PoR boiled (with a tablespoon of the LDME) in 500ml water for 15min and then the whole lot added to the fermenter. Use 20g if the AA rating is only 5 to 7%.

As for the experiment...let us know how your 5g/750ml thing goes!

- boingk

5 (carefully measured) grams prooved too much. Recapping the bottle may not have been the best idea either. I ended up wearing more than I poured.

Latest posts

Back