Dry Hopping & Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelbVTBrews

Reaction score
Ok next question -

I'll be dry hopping a Brit pale ale - want to do the 48hr method in to the secondary fermenter with 10-20g of Fuggles pellets.

I'll be going in to bottles eventually though and figure I have to decide whether to whack the hop pellets staight in to the primary for 48 hrs then rack into secondary and bulk prime before bottling....OR rack into secondary, drop the pellets in, and then re-rack into a (very) clean fermenter once more where I'll have the priming sugar waiting for it before immediate bottling.

What are people's thoughts on this? Too much risk racking twice or definitely better to help clear the sediment and achieve a consistent level of sugar in each bottle?

What are the pros and cons? Will he hops flavour come through if i dry hop straight in to the primary?

I always dry hop in primary, then cold crash for a couple of days before racking to a spare fermenter to bulk prime and bottle.

Straight in the primary then across hey...definitely saves me a few minutes cleaning.

I've heard the spent yeast and sediment can prevent the hops from releasing its good stuff but i imagine this would be fairly minor. In this case not too bothered as using fuggles and don't want to overpower what is already tasting like a great brit pale.

What temp would you cold crash to Frothie? I'm not set up to do it properly, would just setting it up in coldest bit of the house and allowing to get down to 14 ro whatever it is have some benefit? Bring it back up to 18/20 for bottling tho or just aim for that once bottles are in crate?

My ferm fridge gets down to about 0-2C so around there. I don't bother bringing the temp back up before bottling, it soon gets back to room temp in the bottle.

Back