Dry Hopping And Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyedwards

Reaction score
I just racked out an AG GOlden Ale clone that I intend to bottle.

I forgot to add my sugar to bulk prime, will it be ok to rack it again into another fermenter a few hours before bottling next weekend with the sugar?

Secondly, I have need ot dry hop it for armoa, should I do this now or once again just before bittling to keep the armoa strong and fresh?

Cheers,

ROWDY

Hey rowdy,
I would dry hop in the current fermenter and then rack to another one for bottling.
The only is if there will still be enough yeast in suspension to carb the bottles.
Other option is to add the sugar and stir the current fermenter(gently without aerating) to mix the sugar and put the yeast back into suspension, only drama would be stirring the hops into it as well which may end up in your bottles.

Cheers

Robbo

Hey rowdy,
I would dry hop in the current fermenter and then rack to another one for bottling.
The only is if there will still be enough yeast in suspension to carb the bottles.
Other option is to add the sugar and stir the current fermenter(gently without aerating) to mix the sugar and put the yeast back into suspension, only drama would be stirring the hops into it as well which may end up in your bottles.

Cheers

Robbo

Thanbks Robbo thats what I was thinking. The hops are bagged so no problem with them breaking up and getting into the bottles.
I might just add the sugar now and stir and then wait a few days and add the hops. Its been a while since I had to bottle

Cheers,

Don't add the sugar until just Brie bottling otherwise the yeast will eat through it before yo bottle.
I would dry hop in the bag today and then take them out in 3-4 days.

Then when ready to bottle, dissolve your sugar in some boiling water, allow to cool, add to fermenter, gently stir then bottle off straight away.

Cheers

Robbo

Bugger.
I just added the sugar. Not in a position to bottle till the end of the week. Oh well. I might just add about 1/2 of what I added today (130g today) and she should be ok.

unless you are cold conitioning (and even then possibly) the yeast will eat that sugar up while you are dry hopping

check gravity before you bottle and Id be adding the amount you need to to get to the volumes you want.

I rarely prime with more than 120g for Ales

wouldnt it be best to let that ferment out and do the priming from scratch when he's ready to bottle?

The yeast are likely to get though that small amount in no time.. to me it'd be better and more accurate to let it go and then do the numbers again.

seeing as youve racked to secondary it will probably be benificial to have that sugar eaten up to help create a new co2 layer and for any introduced oxygen to be scavenged. when it is time to bottle just prime with fresh sugar and you should be good to go.

Latest posts

Back