Dry hopped pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdupagne

Reaction score
Just finished putting down my latest brew. Coopers Australian pale ale.
Ingredients
Coopers Australian pale ale can
Brew enhancer 2
US05 yeast
15 grams cascade hop pellets dry hopped

Ferment temperature will be 19 degrees.

This is my first time adding any hops so hope it turns out. Any advice welcomed

Have you added the dry hops already? Normally you'd wait till end of ferment to help capture the aromatics. If you have it's not throw away the beer, but once it's close to final gravity taste and you may want to dry hop again

I love the aroma dry hopping gives but unfortunatly it doesnt last long. Maybe try a bit more next and if you dont like it the aroma will fade until you do like it.
The Coops PA is a great can to ad hops. Adding flavour additions with also work well with dry hopping and even improve it. Ive boiled up a BE2 with half the water needed or even say 10lt and add a hop addition to that. Boil for 5 or 10 mins then put it in the fermenter, add the PA can and then the rest of the water cold to cool it quick. Then ferment and dry hop as normal. Tastes excellent.

Yep wait till the krausen goes down to dry hop or the co2 from fermentation will drive off the aroma.

Try again - you won't be throwing this brew away in any case - as others have said another 15 grams on about day 5 and it should be good to go. Best Coopers kit and Cascade goes so well with it.

Thanks for the advice guys. Another 15g on day 5 it is

My brew is finally down to 1010 and stable only issue is the krausen is still 3 inches thick. Never had this before. Can I keg or should I wait?

How long has it been fermenting mate?

That's not unusual for US-05 yeast. Are you fermenting it in a fridge? Cold crashing it will probably drop the krausen if you can do that.

Looks like it's been fermenting 9 days which in my experience with US-05, it's finished.

I would say it's done based on the time, SG reading and the ingredients in the recipe. You could either keg it now or give it a cold crash for a few days to a week and then keg it. As stated a cold crash should drop the krausen out if you are concerned by it still being there.

If you want to go to the expense of dry hopping,you will get the best resulrs from bottling in my experience.
Kegging...unless you drink the full keg quite quickly, the aroma and taste will dissipate very quickly!
The cost of some dry hopping recipes is quite sustantial...120 grams for a 20 litre brew.

Just poured my first one and it's a great beer. Slight hops on the nose and in taste. Will definitely brew this again with some adjustments

Latest posts

Back