Dry Hopped Last Weekend, But Not At Fg For Bottling This Weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
Like it says on the box.

I've done 2 batches of the same Hop Head Red clone a week apart using 2 different methods (M1 was BIAB with no lift and fly sparge, M2 was 1V BIAB with no bag and fly sparge) M1 was at FG after 2 weeks, when it was dry hopped and bottled a week later. M2 has followed the same regimen, but after the 7 day dry hop, I'm still about 1.0 Brix above FG (0.004sg). Stupidly, I didn't take a gravity reading before the dry hop, assuming it would follow the same ferment from the same sg.

From what I can see, I have 2 options.

1: I can leave it in the primary with the dry hops for another week

2: I can rack into secondary and away from the 90g of Amarillo I put in there last weekend.

Can someone with more experience than I give me some pros and cons for each option?

Any advice, abuse, and "Do a search FFS" taken with appreciation and good humour.

Cheers,

FB

well there is many debate here and it all depends on the brewer and hops and things.

Me personally would leave it and raise the temp. If its at 18 raise it to 20 or 21, It will be fine as the yeast has grown already so it wont impart off flavours now. If its already 20 or above leave it and rouse it a little, I move the fermenter like swivel it 90deg and back again a few times trying not to splash the wort.

I dont like secondary, Its me I push my luck enough with getting infections and to take out that step I find is the best. Sure it can work and will work for some but for me it would be my last resort! I have had beers finish 6 points from expected gravity tried to rouse for 3 or more days and just kegged as is. I figure if its done its done I could rack it get 2 points out of it and risk infection or take it as it is and injoy it hoping I havnt introduced anything into the beer in the meantime.

Cheers Kelbs!

I'm sort of ok with racking, used to rack from primary with most of my brews until I got scared of infection and left it alone despite never having an infection from it. I'm more scared now of getting grassiness from leaving the dry hop in for 2 weeks straight, which I've never done before.

Given that I'm trying to compare the two brewing methods, I probably should get it off the hops after 7 days and just suck up the infection risk /hope that the co2 production doesn't carry too much aroma off.

Back