Dry Hop Or Boiled For Secondry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys well ive got a coopers pale ale going with 1kg lme and 200 brown sugar and coopers yeast,and 21 litres total. the hops i have here are cluster 6-8%AA i dont want to have them too hoppy as i have a couple of lagers brewed wich have a nice strong hops flavour. so after just a hint of hop character.how much do you guys recomend and i am putting them into secondry in a couple of days when i rack do i put them in dry or do i boil them and add them that way,
cheers
fergi

Fergi,

Are they plugs or pellets?

If plugs i usually add 2 to the secondary (no boiling), but if you are after a more subtle addition stick with one. (P.S. the AA value dosn't come into affect when dry hopping).
Personally i I don't like dry hopping with pellets - had some very mixed results with very "grassy" effects...

ross they look like chicken pellets so i guess they are pellets, maybe i will boil then add.to secondry,how long will i boil for and how much water do i boil in
cheers
fergi

Pellets used as dry hops often add a grassy taste to the beer. Best to add them to your wort just after the heat is turned off under it.

Put your pellets in a cup, boil in the microwave for a minute. A one-cup plunger type coffee pot can then be used to seperate the pellets from the hop tea.

Jovial Monk

Brilliant JM. The old coffee plunger trick.

I've been trying all kinds of ways to strain the dregs out of hops pellets.

Thanks.

jovial .not quite sure by what you mean boil for 1 minute in microwave.and also do you add water, would i add say 1/2 cup of water put say 10 grms pellets in water then put in micro for 1 minute or wait until it boils in cup then leave in for 1 minute
cheers
fergi

yes Fergi, about a teacup of water, and boil for a minute.

JM

thanks jovial,i am secondrying tomorrow"IS THAT A WORD?" so i will put hops in straight away ,i plan on leaving in secondry for 7 days,,sound ok
cheers
fergi

Back