Dry hop cold crash fail

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damoninja said:
I guess I could have a siphon on hand and bottle it that way in the event of extreme trubification.
This is my favorite word now.

Felt like I should go to the trubble of telling you all that.

Are those poly filters food grade or even safe to run the beer through? Anyone know what the filters are made of?

Poly ethylene. Same stuff that your water runs through for miles.
If the poly doesn't give you cancer, the alcohol in the beer will. Or the char in dark roasted grains. Or sunlight.

Even safe for kittens...
I just wouldn't run boiling wort through it (or a kitten). although the short exposure time probably wouldn't cause much (if any) leaching

NewtownClown said:
Even safe for kittens...
I just wouldn't run boiling wort through it (or a kitten). although the short exposure time probably wouldn't cause much (if any) leaching
God no - I'd reckon it's LDPE number (4) which is safe up to about 80 degrees.

Opposed to the HDPE number (2) which is safe up to 120 degrees, I believe most fermenters / cubes are made from (correct me if I'm wrong)

Not For Horses said:
Poly ethylene. Same stuff that your water runs through for miles.
If the poly doesn't give you cancer, the alcohol in the beer will. Or the char in dark roasted grains. Or sunlight.
It's Polypropylene... but anyway they are both (PE and PP) safe for potable water (at ambient or lower temps), so for bottling beer it *should* be OK from a plastic point of view.

I was referring to the FILTER inside, I doubt that is made out of PP or PE, probably either a media cartridge or some form of screening. That's what I'd be worried about being food safe...

Can one of you guys that has one open it up and take a photo please?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
It's Polypropylene... but anyway they are both (PE and PP) safe for potable water (at ambient or lower temps), so for bottling beer it *should* be OK from a plastic point of view.

I was referring to the FILTER inside, I doubt that is made out of PP or PE, probably either a media cartridge or some form of screening. That's what I'd be worried about being food safe...

Can one of you guys that has one open it up and take a photo please?
The one I got yesterday is all the same type of plastic inside and out, 100% polypropylene (5) which is considered food safe. A lot of hard plastics used in food applications are made of this eg measuring jugs and is usually rated between 130 degrees and 240 degrees.

This stuff is technically better than vinyls when it comes to food safety.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/poly-irrigation-pope-13mm-inline-flt-barbd-1011111b_p3127265

I'll put up a snap of the inside tonight.

Inside bit
20131126_182218_2.jpg

All of the things
20131126_182218.jpg

carniebrew said:
Looks like the Masters equivalent: http://www.masters.com.au/product/100911178/hr-in-line-filter-13mm

Do these in-line filters not get all blocked up from hop and other trub matter, stopping the flow when bottling?
I'd imagine that's the point... If there's enough crap to block it up then you don't want it going in the bottles?

It's probably easy enough to clean out, I'll be giving it a whirl either tomorrow or night or the next, I'll post how it goes...

Looks pretty similar to mine. They get a bit blocked but not enough to have a major impact on flow.

Bottled a dry hopped beer tonight, after running off about 100mL I did a test tube with and without the filter (neglected to photo it)

Without filter had small presence of hops floaties and small amount of sedimentary trub.
With filter was completely clear of debris and did not have any sediment

After 30 750mL bottles there was about 1.5 inches that was blocked, the remaining 3 or so inches were clear.

Easy to clean, just ran water through it in each direction.

Other than to the actual tap, I didn't even need to secure it with the O-rings.

http://www.irrigationwarehouse.com.au/prod1780.htm

Something like this Fletcher. Some clear pcv on each end to join and you're away.

Trub has been a big battle for me. I BIAB and it's just taken a while to get the method down.

Firstly, avoid as much trub from kettle to fermenter as you can. Whirlpool and run off slow if you have a tap. If you don't and you syphon, just be careful. Make sure you whirlpool and don't be afraid to leave a little wort in the kettle.

On the cold side, if I'm dry hopping I always rack over secondary as I've found you can loose a lot of hop character by dry hopping on yeast. By doing this you also leave a lot of junk in the bottom of the fermenter.

The downside to this is that if you use a lot of hops, you may end up with a trub line that goes above your tap and you may have to rack off again before bottling. This is increasing chance of infection or contamination.

Cold crashing the dry hops after having racked to secondary always works for me.

Latest posts

Back