Dry Hop Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timobriennz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to dry hop some Cascade into an IPA I've got in the fermenter at the moment and I thought I would check when is the best time to chuck it in? The lid seal on my fermenter isn't perfect so I don't get the bubbles in the airlock so I can't use that as a guide for when the fermentation slows down. Does about 7 days after pitching the yeast sound about right?

Cheers
Tim

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to dry hop some Cascade into an IPA I've got in the fermenter at the moment and I thought I would check when is the best time to chuck it in? The lid seal on my fermenter isn't perfect so I don't get the bubbles in the airlock so I can't use that as a guide for when the fermentation slows down. Does about 7 days after pitching the yeast sound about right?

Cheers
Tim

Are you kegging or bottling?

If kegging;
wait for ferment to finish, fill keg and throw in a stocking\hop sock with your dry hop amounts.
No more than 7 days unless you like grassiness.

If Bottling:
wait until you're about 5 points off FG and chuck them in your fermenter.
Maximum of 7 days.
this will allow you to pop the lid and dry hop as well as expel most of the air you let in doing so.
Ideally, once FG is reached, chill the lot for the remaining time of the dry hop, as you want the oils, not a stew.
But it's no big deal if you cant.

Don't dry hop during the ferment as it will strip most of the aroma you're after.

HTH

BeerFingers

I normally CC for a week or so, and throw the dry hops in during this period.

Try a few different techniques and see which works best for you.

Sponge

Are you kegging or bottling?

If kegging;
wait for ferment to finish, fill keg and throw in a stocking\hop sock with your dry hop amounts.
No more than 7 days unless you like grassiness.

If Bottling:
wait until you're about 5 points off FG and chuck them in your fermenter.
Maximum of 7 days.
this will allow you to pop the lid and dry hop as well as expel most of the air you let in doing so.
Ideally, once FG is reached, chill the lot for the remaining time of the dry hop, as you want the oils, not a stew.
But it's no big deal if you cant.

Don't dry hop during the ferment as it will strip most of the aroma you're after.

HTH

BeerFingers

Thanks for the advice - I'm bottling at the moment. I'll take a reading this weekend to see where its at and then decide whether its time to chuck in the hops.

Back