Dry Cider Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr1me

Reaction score
Real easy this one, and a nice dry crisp taste.

19 liters of apple juice
3 litres of grape
1 litre boiling water
1.5kg honey
grumpys champagne yeast
bulk prime with 180 - 200g of honey
2 weeks primary ferment, racked and immediately bottled in glass.

OG 1.070
FG 1.000

Result
Extremely dry cider, and isnt too bad after 48 hours in the pantry.

Bit like your sense of humour ....

very, very, DRY.... :D

everyone knows i dont have any sense at all let alone humour.

Heh pr1me, how are you doin, and do you happen to have the receipe for the Cider I tasted when visiting GMK a couple of weeks back.......

Cheers

TMA :)

Any apple taste left? The cider I did with champers yeast was dry and crisp, but I was disappointed with the taste.

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
Any apple taste left? The cider I did with champers yeast was dry and crisp, but I was disappointed with the taste.

Jovial Monk
I did a ginger beer with Champagne yeast and found the same. Wondering if next time i should use the packet yeast, and then throw in some champagne yeast after a couple of days to dry it out a bit.

Guys

Get rid of the champagne yeast - TOO DRY...

Use Pinot Noir or better still.....

......ZINFIDEL Yeast.... :rolleyes:

Yeah the recipe for that one is kicking around this site somewhere, but I am going to do some alterations to it in the near future, so once done I'll repost it again here.

And yep, the champagne yeast is a bit too effective at removing the apple taste/honey taste/anything else taste, from the brew, unless you have a super heavy brew 1100 - 1150 OG and stunt the ferment at about 1050 or so.

I'll be taking GMK's advice later though and trying a yeast that can yield a sweeter result. I've heard some folks have had good results using S04 in cider as well.

Latest posts

Back