DrSmurto GA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
Anyone able to help me here, I love Dr Smurtos Golden Ale and it is mainly all I brew over the last few years but sadly I'm getting serious advice from my Doc (I have type 2 diabetes) and he has advised me to cut right down on my intake and to get onto midstrength.
I want to drop my my usual recipe from a 6% recipe down to an approx 3.5 to 4% recipe, what would be the better way? Should I cut back on the Base malt (55% MO) or drop back a bit on the specialty's (Rye & Vienna @ 20% ea and carbohemian @5%)
I don't want the beer to taste to thin and wonder what additions I could add to give it body without raising the ABV or without altering to much the taste of the DSGA.
Any help would be more than greatly appreciated
cheers

Easiest way would be to scale back the recipe but keep your water volumes the same. That way you will have your grains in the same ratios to each other. Are you using any brew software? Sorry to hear about your health mate, hope you get it resolved ASAP.

Mash higher (70c) to create less fermentable wort, not sure what yeast you are using but maybe switch to one that doesn't attenuate as well (something like WLP002), sub the crystal with some flaked barley.
I'd cut back or lose the Vienna if it were me, the Rye will help combat the sweetness of the residual sugars so even though I'm not the biggest fan of it in this case it makes sense to keep it.

To drop it 25%, add 25% more water.
Use the extra to make a stater for the next one

Adding water will indeed drop the ABV% but will also dilute everything else as well, the body will be thinned, colour diluted, bitterness reduced.

Do you use any brewing software? It might help to make your calcs easier to help retain the DSGA character you're after.

So what your trying to say is that dilution maintains the bitterness ratio.
Reducing the grain/hops component will also do the same thing.

It doesn't maintain the bitterness ratio though, and even then that is not the whole picture. You dilute your wort (or reduce grain/hop component- same difference) and your beer is going to taste more watery, the hops character as well as the malt profile will be reduced also. Exactly what OP is trying to avoid.

I'm not sure adding more unfermentable sugars over decreasing alcohol is a good strategy for diabetes, you likely need to scale back the grain bill but ensure you ferment out fully to reduce the sugar content. If you want to add more mouthfeel then consider substiuting some grains for those that provide that outcome.

Do you drink everyday? I'm not your mum, but consider doing what I do (for weight reasons) and don't drink until the weekend. I drink soda water with a squeeze of lime during the week, it still gives me that carbonated sensation in the mouth but with zero calories..

Take care of your condition, Type 2 Diabetes can lead to awful eye health issues (my wife works for an eye surgeon so I hear all the horror stories)!

Easiest way would be to scale back the recipe but keep your water volumes the same. That way you will have your grains in the same ratios to each other. Are you using any brew software? Sorry to hear about your health mate, hope you get it resolved ASAP.
using BS2 or sometimes Brewmate and thanks for your reply and concern

Adding water will indeed drop the ABV% but will also dilute everything else as well, the body will be thinned, colour diluted, bitterness reduced.

Do you use any brewing software? It might help to make your calcs easier to help retain the DSGA character you're after.
Beersmith most times brewmaster occasionally, yes I want to avoid thinning the beer down if possible, i do like the taste, thanks for your reply

thanks guys I guess I will go back to original recipe then drop back on the vienna. maybe a bit of trial and error needed.
cheers

I brew a hoppy mild at 3% abv max, quite a bit different to the GA recipe. It's in the recipeDB. I'll have a look for it later if you're interested.
Sorry for delay getting back to you but yes thank you good Sir I would greatly appreciate it :)

Latest posts

Back