Drones

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

Anyone into Drones?

I went to a charity golf day and walked away a grand lighter but with a DJI phantom 4 Chinese new year edition. This thing is crazy fast. And going by the chunks of timber gauged from one of the guitars in my lounge room, do not fly this inside kids.

dji-chinese-new-year-phantom-2017-03.jpg

I'm not really into drones and apologies for the OT post, but you reminded me of a video I watched showing an incident with a drone at Gatwick airport in the UK . The result of one d*ckhead with a drone causing chaos for 10s of thousands of people.

At least that thing would be visible from a long way off for an approaching airliner.

Yep, this thing will go up to 50 metres high and has a 5K range with a top speed of 72km. Planning on getting a bait drop kit.

Just a heads up if you are within 5 km of a registered aerodrome or inside controlled airspace and operate without the appropriate approvals, it's a hefty fine. As some real estate agents have discovered.
Cheers

Yep, just joined a drone forum and hope to find out where i can and cant use it.

Had a mate's father bring his super-duper-Xwing drone thing to Perisher on our annual trip. This thing had an accompanying headset - exactly like one you use with VR - but it projected a 3D rendition of the drone's camera feed. It was glorious.. but like VR, without a specific purpose for it, I used it to simply dick around.

Yeah, I have a Phantom 4. We got it 9 months ago to pre-program a mission low over our olive trees to spook the thieving birds. Works well!

Plus an unexpectedly good quality camera/lens for aerial shots, both stills and movies. Somewhere I read to think of it more as a remote controlled flying camera than a flying machine with a camera stuck on. But a real hoot to fly!

Mine goes a bit higher than 50 metres though :p.

Aerial shot of grove (with cockpit Photoshopped in - I was bored):

Grove through cockpit window.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a Phantom 4. We got it 9 months ago to pre-program a mission low over our olive trees to spook the thieving birds. Works well!

Plus an unexpectedly good quality camera/lens for aerial shots, both stills and movies. Somewhere I read to think of it more as a remote controlled flying camera than a flying machine with a camera stuck on. But a real hoot to fly!

View attachment 109430
500m but default to 120m above take off point.

View attachment 109430

Bit smaller then you're old day job ride roger?

Was the cockpit photoshopped in to cover the mess we made of your paddock at the Swap?

Bit smaller then you're old day job ride roger?

Was the cockpit photoshopped in to cover the mess we made of your paddock at the Swap?

Yeah - just a little!

The mess? Nature is quite resilient. The burnt patches of grass have pretty well recovered, the fences straightened up pretty well, and we're hopeful the chooks will start laying again anytime now!

After swap.jpg

The look can probably be interpreted as “**** that guy”

Yes, I can see the appeal but are owners generally aware of how obnoxious and intrusive these ******* things can be? If not, please change that. Like 7 million mosquitoes on steroids fucked the creepiest stalker ever.

The look can probably be interpreted as “**** that guy”

Yes, I can see the appeal but are owners generally aware of how obnoxious and intrusive these ******* things can be? If not, please change that. Like 7 million mosquitoes on steroids fucked the creepiest stalker ever.

You're like the HR Giger of homebrewing forum moderation.

We were camping at Copeton Waters near Glen Innes at Easter and there were some long distance swimming events on the weekend. A couple of drones were used with the vision shown on a large TV on shore, was good for spectators to be able to see the race progress. They definitely have their uses.

I would love a drone and I live in the perfect place to fly one....or loose one. :(:(

I've got a Parrot Bebop drone which is probably more of a flying machine first, camera platform second. The camera is front mounted and 1080p which is awesome. It's also got an app add on where you can program routes, camera angles, hover heights etc. It gets a bit nerve wracking when it flys autonomously out of sight and loses contact with the controller. The 5 minutes or so seem to take ages and you swear a lot at losing a few hundred dollars... but then you hear the buzz of it overhead again!

Back