Drinking WAY too early.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipsyboy

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on drinking a stout that has only been in the bottle for 8 days.

Stock getting low as have family here from overseas and they are ripping through it.

Other option is to keg a lager that has only cold crashed for 2 days ( total time from 20degrees).

I'm determined not to buy megaswill so one of the above is happening.

Cheers.

My first thought on seeing the title was that you'd started at 8am (not that there's anything wrong with that).

As manticle says, it's your beer. Give a bottle (or two) a try and see how it is?
It's probably still green but if you're completely against buying anything else, and it tastes ok, then why not?

Edit: I may not be the best advisor on this. I'm a habitual offender for 'just trying' a bottle (or two) from the batch bottled the week before...especially if it's something I've not done before, or smelled particularly delicious on bottling.

8 Days? Waay too soon!

Explain this craft-beer phenomenon to your guests & suggest they go out & buy a selection of different beers for you to share until yours reaches maturity. I'm guessing it'll be awhile...?

Any luck, you get to drink great beer & yours....just....won't...be ready to drink before they leave.... :ph34r:

I'd say that if you and your guests are happy to drink it, then it's not too early. However, if your guests aren't happy to drink it, they can always dip into their own pocket and stock the fridge.

Stouts needs a few months in the bottle........

BUT...hell...I have nearly drank a fermenter full of stout dry before ( which was not needed) bottling..

But 8 days really isnt enough...

But if it tastes good.....

I had one at 12:15 the other day. It was after a night shift. The I had another.
Then I went to bed.
Was that too early?

It's my sister and brother in law over from England and they are craft beer/real ale drinkers.

I'm actually very pleased that they are drinking it as it proves that it's good. BIL says it's the best home brew he's tasted.

It's not the actual expense of either me or them buying megaswill it's just a general reluctance to do it on my part no matter who is paying. They are happy to drink wine and I'm determined to drink my own beer no matter what. I can 'pimp' each drink with blackcurrant cordial if needed.

Thanks for the input guys and I'll let you know how it goes.

1 British Pound Sterling equals1.81 Australian Dollar

send them to a good bottle shop i say :)

Ok guys, on the bottlo stuff. As I haven't bought anything from the bottlo for 3 months I treated myself (sis paid) to a youngs double chocolate stout.

Not too impressed. It was agreed by me and sis that mine is better. Youngs had a beer taste with chocolate after taste. Mine are just like chocolate milkshakes that get you drunk. It's all down to personal taste but that's how I like it.

You've answered your own question which is great.
They are ripping through it
Yours is better than the Youngs.....

Sounds like you need to get another fermenter or 2 and get a decent stock behind you.

Hope the family enjoy their stay.

Ps. Nail imperial porter if there's any left. Fantastic beer at a decent price.

I'd go with the keg of lager choice if it were me.

Save your well brewed stout until it is ready.

Once when I ran out of proper beer I got a case of Best Extra Stout and a case of JS 150 lashes
and mixed hem together as I poured. Resulted in quite a nice hoppy porter, quite like home brew.

Cheers guys.

Went with the stout and it was really good. Nice and smooth.

Still have about 40 stubbies left so will leave them now. Will keg the lager and I'm picking up a keg of draught Bass from the local micro brewery today so plenty of stock now.

Yeah, need to brew more. Have 2 fermenters which are usually both always full but have been a bit lax of late.

pipsyboy said:
Ok guys, on the bottlo stuff. As I haven't bought anything from the bottlo for 3 months I treated myself (sis paid) to a youngs double chocolate stout.

Not too impressed. It was agreed by me and sis that mine is better. Youngs had a beer taste with chocolate after taste. Mine are just like chocolate milkshakes that get you drunk. It's all down to personal taste but that's how I like it.
I think that the Young's is a great beer.
Not so sure on a "chocolate milkshake that gets you drunk" as descriptors for a beer, but as you say, to each their own.

pipsyboy said:
Still have about 40 stubbies left so will leave them now.
Put a dozen or so away in a box and "hide them" for tasting 6mths, year, 18 months etc and make notes. It is interesting how they will develop and mature. Now where did I put those in 19............?
Cheers

Back