Drinking Vessels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I've collected a number of different styles of glassware for beer drinking over the last few years with capacity ranging from 250ml to 1 litre.
However I have one particular favourite which is a pottery style DAB 500ml tankard.
It has a nice shape, good handle and keeps the beer cool. But it really foams the beer when you fill it up. Does anyone else have a similar problem with european pottery beer mugs ?

Doc

PS: Would love to post a picture of it but I can't find a similar one on the net and I can't post files to this forum.

I have a ceramic stein with lid that belonged to SWMBO's grandfather. Froths like mad. Germans love head on their lagers. I assume the surface tension of the ceramic is different to the glass we are accustomed to.

I've got an assortment of glassware too. The most crazy being a 2.5 pint glass that my housemate bought back from the UK. Holds a little under 1.5litres of beer! Its a little too big for most occasions though :) I usually just use a standard run of the mill pint glass, or my pint mug (glass mug).

Postmodern - you are more correct than you think. It is indeed the ceramic surface that agitates the beer when it is poured into the glass, thus creating the overly large head. Recently certain pubs have started to use glasses with etching on the inside for the exact same effect. More head seems to satisfy some beer drinkers :p

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

This is from Lukes photo gallery.
A 3 litre Leffe glass.
Now that is a serious glass. I though 1 litre steins were big enough.
I like the look of it, I want one, but not very practical.
Definitely a two had job, and a work out drinking out of it.

Beers,
Doc

100_0007_img.jpg

Damnit. Now I want one of those :)

just the size glass i need to quench that hard earnt thirst B)

Looks like it should come with chocolate sauce crushed nuts and a straw...

how is these for a beer picture i got of oliver and geoffs homebrew site

bigbeer.gif

Just picked up two 25oz dimpled mugs from GO-LO for $1.60 each. They hold 650mls :p

I'll post a picture of my glass sometime. 2 1/2 english pints in size. Its rediculous.

Hope everyone had a good end of financial year!

i use 330 ml dortmunder glass steins or my 450 ml murphy stout glass but for my long necks cant go past my 750 ml crystal beer glass

i generally drink out of one of my guinness st pats day pints..

Back