Drinking Sierra Nevada Torpedo And Disappointed.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.
Reaction score
I had my first Torpedo last week and absolutely loved it, but bought two more from another Dan Murphy's tonight and the first one tastes and smells like wort with some hops in it. Took a beer nerd leap and measured the gravity (because I'm not drinking it when it tastes like this) and it came in at 1018 which is bang on. Expiry isn't until June 2012. So what would cause this? It tastes nothing like an IPA, just sweet, but still carbonated.Has anyone taken beer back to DM?

Would guess a handling issue - possibly got too hot or something similar... Had one the other day and loved it as well. Would love to try it off tap :)

Cheers

Sadly, not uncommon with Dan imports, I can vouch for that. In my experience, overall about 1/4- 1/3 of them have the same fault of being dull, drab beer that's evidently been mishandled to within an inch of its life, despite the fact that a bottle from the very same shop a few weeks ago may have been just brilliant (happens all too often I'm afraid, TTL is a classic for this). Its very frustrating, so I never buy six packs or cartons from them, just the odd import now and then- so usually I'll grab some of local muck and support the locals.
Regardless of where the beer comes from though, you're on to it- for just about any beer the BBE date is a good starting point, that should really be the first test. Even look through the row of individual bottles for fresh stock that's been added to the back, nabbed some very fresh ones in this way a few times.
I did read somewhere though that apparently Dans were refrigerating SN imports, is that just a myth, anyone?

Sadly, not uncommon with Dan imports, I can vouch for that. In my experience, overall about 1/4- 1/3 of them have the same fault of being dull, drab beer that's evidently been mishandled to within an inch of its life, despite the fact that a bottle from the very same shop a few weeks ago may have been just brilliant (happens all too often I'm afraid, TTL is a classic for this). Its very frustrating, so I never buy six packs or cartons from them, just the odd import now and then- so usually I'll grab some of local muck and support the locals.
Regardless of where the beer comes from though, you're on to it- for just about any beer the BBE date is a good starting point, that should really be the first test. Even look through the row of individual bottles for fresh stock that's been added to the back, nabbed some very fresh ones in this way a few times.
I did read somewhere though that apparently Dans were refrigerating SN imports, is that just a myth, anyone?

I believe theya re imported ubder refrigeration but I suspect what happens after that is at the mercy of the retailer.

I picked up a sixer of Torpedo for Xmas from Dans and it was certainly below par.

I believe part of the deal with importing these is they must be refrigerated in transit. Phoenix beers are the importers I believe. I'd suggest the handling issue is on the Dan Murphy side of the supply chain, not Phoenix.

The Press Club have SN Torpedo on the menu and the sommelier/waiter confirmed to me they are refrigerated during import as I was worried about freshness. I got one but still wasn't impressed with the freshness. But after the Cavalier Pale Ale, almost anything would have seemed drab :icon_drool2:

Bit of a dead giveaway when you walk into Dan's and they have stock out on the floor.

They might be cheaper but they just don't care about their beers.

I've had a SN Torpedo in California and it tasted the same as the ones I buy from Dans. Great beer.

I had a couple the other day from Dans and they were fantastic.
I have posted this before, but to give an idea of Dan's mishandling of their beers:
I went looking for the latest LC single batch a month or 2 ago ( I am in Perth) and asked one of the shop attendants if they were going to be getting any in.
He told me that all of the Little Creatures Single batches are transported over east to headquarters and then transported to the individual stores. It's brewed in Perth FFS.

the first time i ever had a torpedo it was from dans and i thought it was about the most over-hyped beer ever. not impressed.

then about a month ago i decided to give it another chance, again at dans. it was a revelation - the best ipa ive ever had hands down.

there MUST have been more at play there than just changing tastes/moods/whatever. the first one was seriously a 3-4/10, the second about 9/10!

I got a 6 pack of the Pale Ale for Chissy, and it's really poor. Mine was dated 08/06/12. I'll seriously look at other beers when I'm in there next time, as for the price it should be handled a bit better.

QldKev

I got a 6 pack of the Pale Ale for Chissy, and it's really poor. Mine was dated 08/06/12. I'll seriously look at other beers when I'm in there next time, as for the price it should be handled a bit better.

QldKev

It was probably a bit young, given it was yet to be brewed (by over 6 months). :ph34r: :lol: :lol:

the first time i ever had a torpedo it was from dans and i thought it was about the most over-hyped beer ever. not impressed.

then about a month ago i decided to give it another chance, again at dans. it was a revelation - the best ipa ive ever had hands down.

there MUST have been more at play there than just changing tastes/moods/whatever. the first one was seriously a 3-4/10, the second about 9/10!
Had the same experience. At first was rather ordinary. Bought some within the first week of their release in oz, then bought some more a few weeks back. Totally different beers, bought from the same store.

Yeah given its summer now the beer has probably sat on a pallet in the sun. Especially with the large amount of stock required by Dans at this time of year. May have run out of warehouse space....

I had a couple the other day from Dans and they were fantastic.
I have posted this before, but to give an idea of Dan's mishandling of their beers:
I went looking for the latest LC single batch a month or 2 ago ( I am in Perth) and asked one of the shop attendants if they were going to be getting any in.
He told me that all of the Little Creatures Single batches are transported over east to headquarters and then transported to the individual stores. It's brewed in Perth FFS.

My god that's ******* retarded.

I've always enjoyed these beers and all have come from my localish DM's.

You really have to wonder though, container arrives Sydney perhaps?
Sits on the docks before being collected and taken to a depot, there it gets unloaded and broken up for individual stores. How long and how is it treated? Then trucked off to stores all over Oz. It must be unloaded and reloaded a few times, I don't know transport companys any more than personal experience, and that has not always been good.
If 4 Pines can have problems getting beers into shops what hope do US brewers have?

Batz

I've always enjoyed these beers and all have come from my localish DM's.

You really have to wonder though, container arrives Sydney perhaps?
Sits on the docks before being collected and taken to a depot, there it gets unloaded and broken up for individual stores. How long and how is it treated? Then trucked off to stores all over Oz. It must be unloaded and reloaded a few times, I don't know transport companys any more than personal experience, and that has not always been good.
If 4 Pines can have problems getting beers into shops what hope do US brewers have?

Batz

funny thing is nobody is getting gushers with the sn beers.im guessing they would have had a lot worse treatment than any four pines or murrays beers but no gushers just faded and flabby flavours. its time breweries in aus stopped blaming poor tranport and look closer to home for an answer to theyre problems.

I suspect also that them beer drinkin' folk down under might not always get the best stuff loaded onto the boats in the first place.

If I were in the export department of a large American brewery I wouldn't fret about the Aussie market. Seriously - they'd sell more product through a single bottle store in S.F. than the whole of Oz.

We may well be a dumping ground - if they've tried VB then they probably think they could sell us carbonated horseshit and we'd drink it.

Back