Drill For Margo Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
I have a drill which I've tried using on my margo mill, but it's not a variable speed one, so it's performance isn't that great.

i've noticed that bunnings have a 13mm 500W Hammer drill for under $20 (which I'm assuming would be variable speed, and have an option to turn of the hammer action). While I realise this will not last forever - will it be enough to crack grain?

Cheers

Boots

Hi Boots,

That's the drill I've set up with my mill and while it is pretty 'basic' it works fine. My slow crush times are probably related to other factors, for $15 I think the drill is a bargain and yes it is speed adjustable, if a little clunky.

Hope that helps,

Shawn.

Cool - I'm brewing tonight (the hops on my desk are making me way too excited) so I'll pick up one of the drills on the way home.

No more hour long, manual grain crushes for me !

Thanks Shawn

I'm brewing tonight too Boots :) :) :) Can't wait! What are you putting down? I'm brewing a slightly tweaked version of my APA recipe that I was really happy with last time. I like drinking the APA's in summer and they are nice and quick.

Good luck :chug:

Shawn.

Hi Boots,

Thats the same drill I have on my Marga and it works great. Bunnings must love homebrewers!!

Andrew

I ended up picking up an "Ozito" drill:
750W 5 Speed Hammer drill with 3yr warranty (pffft) for $29.

I'm putting down an APA too Shawn, I'm doing one of the variations on skunk fart.

I worked pretty late last night so I've even left work early to start ...... HLT is warming now, bout to start cracking ........too exciting .... :)

Shawn, and all those brewing tonight (I know Jayse is as well) all the best :chug:

Well, my $29 Drill gets the seal of approval!

Pity I filled my fermenter with one shot to sanitise, thinking the tap was closed. 5 Mins later SWMBO comes home, to find a hallway full of oneshot !

Hopefully the rest of the night goes a little better

Hi Boots,
Good luck with the rest of the brew, dont let Murphy get a foot in.
You will find that you will get better efficiency with the brew when you drive the Marga with a drill.
It seems to give a better crush if it turns a bit faster, anyway, as I said,
Good Luck and happy brewing!
Cheers

well boots i got a cheap O $15 from golo for me bc mill and i hammered it on my veranhda when i was putting it up ......Its still going strong

The brew went well Boots. Hope yours came good after the 'one shot incident' :lol:

The Marga's crush saw me hit my gravity and volume bang on B) It took a while to crush, something I hope to fix in the future, but compared to the efficiency I was getting from my HBS's mill I'm very happy :) An improvement in efficiency and cheaper brewing with bulk home cracked grains. It has been a good night :p

Shawn.

Nice work Shawn.

I'm all done. One beer brewed, another racked to keg.

I didn't get the volume i wanted (decided to stick to a half decent grav), but with a partial, it's too hard trying to work out where I'll end up at the end of the night anyway.

smelled good :)

Do any of the above drills operate slow enough so that you can 'set and forget'? I've just bought an Ozito 710W impact drill from Bunnings and find the slowest setting is still too fast (or at least I think it is) to crush grain with. I'm looking for a drill I can just set to the slowest speed, lock it in place and leave it to do its work. Does anyone have such a drill? Make/model? I'm aware I can use a power regulator however would prefer it if I could just plug my drill straight into the mill.

I got for x-mas a new cordless power drill.

It has a two stage gearbox with high and low range selection. On "slow" its highest speed is just about right. I haven't actually left it alone, but I'm pretty sure I could if I wanted.

This is all with a Marga, so things are a bit slower than a proper mill. With a "big" grain bill, I have to change batteries. I get a whole crush out of one battery if I use the "fast" setting, because the gearing is different and the motor doesn't have to do so many RPM... but then the torque isn't as smooth and the speeds aren't as easily controllable. I don't think it could be set and forget.

I'm not all that happy with the crush I get out of the Marga at anything above quite slow speeds though, so perhaps being a little less fussy might help.

I think a little futzing around and you'll find something that will do the job.

Back