Drill for grain mill - torque requirements?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slash22000

Stereotypical Lupulin Addict
Reaction score
G'day all,

So I tried my grain mill out for the first time on the weekend and discovered two things in about 2 minutes:

1) I gave up on hand cranking after 30 seconds

2) The dodgy 12V Chinese drill I've been using for other purposes doesn't have anywhere near the grunt required to crush grain (resulting in my just about throwing it out the window as it jammed for the dozenth time)

So I'm looking at buying another drill. Thing is, I'm only really going to use it for crushing grain 99% of the time so I don't want to spend $10,000 here.

I've been Googling around a bit and people seem to have very different ideas as to what sort of torque is required to run your average grain mill but the average answer I'm getting seems to be in the 10Nm - 12Nm range? If so, this cheap-ass drill from Kogan should be up to the task (advertises 15Nm)? It doesn't really bother me how quickly it will crack the grain as long as it won't jam every 5 seconds.

Any superior alternatives for around the <$100 range? I know that some people go all the way through to buying dedicated motors for milling but I live in a small apartment and don't have the space to build a Tim "The Toolman" Taylor style motorised setup. Cheers all.

Think a lot of people use the 90 buck ozito hammer drill and are happy with it

I use a cordless drill, makita 18v on full speed. But a cheaper one would work well on low speed. Those ozito drills are amazing for the price, I have had one for 5 years of trade use and its still going. But again use the cheaper drills on low speed and they will last forever

depends on the mill. i killed one of those 90 buck ozito drills in 3 minutes with the mash master mk1

If you are going to use a cordless you need one with a gearbox, it 2 speeds. That Kogan doesn't seem to have a gearbox from the specs, and with a speed of 1,300rpm I would stay clear of it.

I used a 18v cordless job in low gear for over a year, but it worked it pretty hard. It has 7.5nm (from memory) but with the gearbox reduction it would have been multiplied by at least 4, so approx 30nM. I would only recommend it as a temporary measure. Have a look on my website qldkev.net about the motor I set up, also have a search on here for a motion dynamics motor.

As mentioned above if you want it to double as a drill the ozito one is used by quite a few people.

edit: Just noticed my old cordless is rated at 40nm... So I would stay away from the crappy Kogan 15nm

QldKev

That one at Tradetools looks the goods.

This is the Bunnings one that many of us are using.

120Nm? :blink: Damn son. I guess it's worth the extra $30 over the Kogan to have >10x the power. :p I'd be afraid of the thing turning into the Terminator and hunting my family. I have a Bunnings just down the road (don't we all?) so it's definitely worth a look into. Cheers.

Quick comparision of the Trade Tools Vs Bunnings

Price
Bun 89.97
TT 98 (Trade price)
win Bunnings

Power
Bun 1050w
TT 800w
win Bunnings

Speed (allowing we want a slow speed of about 150rpm for crush)
Bun 0-550rpm
TT 0-600rpm
win Bunnings

I don;t have either, but from my 2 sec evaluation I would go the Bunnings

I had a similar prob with my dodgy drill.
The Ozito spade bit drill (i think that's what its called is awesome... It is under 100 bucks and has some serious low end grunt.

I use the Ozito from Bunnings in mikec's link.
Excellent drill at low speed with high torque.

Crusty said:
I use the Ozito from Bunnings in mikec's link.
Excellent drill at low speed with high torque.
I also use that drill, great low end torque and slow speed with throttle control. Just what you need. :beerbang:

slash22000 said:
..I know that some people go all the way through to buying dedicated motors for milling but I live in a small apartment and don't have the space to build a Tim "The Toolman" Taylor style motorised setup.
Here's my apartment friendly motamill:

[zoom]

Uses a 12V garage rolladoor motor (BA post)

Is there an upper limit to speed? Mine is pretty damn powerful and fast, worry it will damage the mill (it has loosened the adjustment screws before (resonance when it slows down to a halt).

Another tip - go cord over cordless, why worry about battery cycling etc. if you only use it intermittently.

I've had the 1050w Ozito for over a year and it hasn't missed a beat.

foles said:
Is there an upper limit to speed? Mine is pretty damn powerful and fast, worry it will damage the mill (it has loosened the adjustment screws before (resonance when it slows down to a halt). Another tip - go cord over cordless, why worry about battery cycling etc. if you only use it intermittently.
Does your drill have a hammer setting foles? Perhaps you inadvertently used the hammer mode?
Agree with you about cord over cordless & German technology is another plus.
25-year old Makita hammer drill here. Never loses a beat. Around 100/120 revs per minute works for me. I'm not in a hurry. :lol:

slash22000 said:
The mill specifically: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/69084-malt-muncher-mill-special/#entry975346

Doesn't really have a lot of information about it anywhere, I guess it's not very famous? :p Looks very similar to that "Mash Master" but then they all look very similar to me.
I use that mill, in combination with this drill: http://www.makita.com.au/products/power-tools/item/hp1630k-13mm-hammer-drill

And it works great.

However; I find holding a drill, holding the mill steady and pouring the grain in a PITA. I usually have to get SWMBO to help me. Maybe there's an easier way? Eventually I want buy a dedicated mill motor and build it onto a housing board to free my arms up.

phoneyhuh said:
I use that mill, in combination with this drill: http://www.makita.com.au/products/power-tools/item/hp1630k-13mm-hammer-drill

And it works great.

However; I find holding a drill, holding the mill steady and pouring the grain in a PITA. I usually have to get SWMBO to help me. Maybe there's an easier way? Eventually I want buy a dedicated mill motor and build it onto a housing board to free my arms up.
There's always an easier way phoneyhugh.
Make a table with a semi-circlular bracket (same dia as your bucket) attached at the rear (Screwed to the fence in this pic) The pressure created by pushing on the drill holds the bucket, mill, & hopper in place.

If it's raining just sit everything on the floor, wrap your knees around the bucket & start milling. :)
Sorry about the small pic.

Mill in Action.jpg

Latest posts

Back