Dried Yeast Propagation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasabi

Reaction score
Guys,

2 weeks ago I was planning to do two beers over two nights. My experimental batches are usually 10L instead of a full 20L.

I bought myself a sachet of SAFALE and did the following procedure.

MONDAY
Rehydrate yeast for 40Mins in Room Temp Water (about 300ml of water)
Add 1 Table spoon of Dextrose.
Divide mixture into two stubbies and airlock them
Bottles kept at room temp
Bubbling and foaming begin

TUESDAY
Used one bottle in a Porter I made up that night,
(OG 1.060)

WEDNESDAY
Used other bottle in an EPA
(OG 1.053)

Both of them have been fermenting fine, though after 7 days I expected them to be lower than they are (1.028 and 1.023)

Is there anything wrong with the way I've done this? I mean I could just use two packets of yeast but I figured that as I was doing two brews over two days, I may aswell try and propogate and save a little money?

Comments? Observations?

Dude,

Temperature?????

non-fermentables in the grain bill????

Procedure sounds fine to me ....but who am I to say huh???

Give it more time...3-7 days...or rack it to a secondary and the minimal rousing may restart fermentation and take it down to target gravity.

Just a few to muse on

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Linz,

The brew should settle at 1.013 according to Strange Brew and it's usually pretty accurate.

It's been fermenting at around 24-26 so thats ok. I've racked it and I think that may make some difference, but I'm use to my brews taking a while.

I'm not too worried about the high gravity, I was just wondering if I did the yeast propogation ok.

Instead of dextrose in your starter use 100g dme in a litre of boiled water. By doing this you are starting in a solution that is close to the SG of the wort you will pitch into so you won't shock the yeast. Otherwise no problems.

Hmmmm...yes I might use DME infuture, it's just that as I don't use Dextrose any more for anything but priming, I'm trying to get through my stocks.

As it is, but brews have stalled at 1.028 and 1.023 so I'm thinking that maybe I should just stick to my usual methond and use one SAFALE per brew. Perhaps propogation is best left to liquid cultures.

Have re-pitched some more yeast so we'll see how things go.

Yeast Proporgation.

Method sounds fine to me. I do the same.
Is this Safale S04...if so ..i thought that this should be around the 18-22 degrees for fermentation.

Now this will sound strange...and i have seen it happen before.
Rack the beer to a secondary and dry Hop.

For some reason..this kicks off a second fermentation that should get the of down to the 1013 that you want.

Let em know if you try this.

Ken....

Guys,
That strange thing, GMK, is known as rousing.Racking the beer to a 2ndry will cause some of the yeast,near the end of racking,to be stirred thru the brew.
This causes the yeast to kick off again(to a lesser extent) and lower to the final gravity.
The dry hopping doesn't have anything to do with it.

:ph34r: ninja brewing

just my two cents worth
that method is best used when your pitching all the yeast into a brew that day.ie 300ml water. tablespoon dextrose.
for what you want to do i'd use 1.5-2litres of wort well aerated and you'll have awesome results.that will give you up to a litre for each brew and it'll be very active.theres no reason why you couldn't put some(500ml) back in the fridge and make up another starter next time .the same as liquid yeast.you wouldn't worry with the cheap dried yeast but with safale if you save $4 a brew that'll buy atleast 1/2 a kilo of crystal and a couple kilos of pale.

Yeah, I had already moved it to a secondary and thats when I was hoping that it would restart, but nothing.

Jayse, I think that was my main problem, even though I was only doing two small batches (10L each), I think by splitting the Safale into two started batches, I didn't make the started batches big enough or with enough fermentables.

Hopefully the second pitchiing will fix things. As they're a porter and an EPA the high FG isn't a huge problem, but I would like them down into at least the teens.

Jayse,

Where are you getting your stuff from......and to quote

"$4 a brew that'll buy atleast 1/2 a kilo of crystal and a couple kilos of pale."

I'm gunna start ordering from you!!! :p

linz
maybe a little exageration.depending how much you buy. but from grumpies you'll get 2 kg of cracked amc pale malt for $4.
if your lucky or give them or who ever you use a lot of business you'll probaly get 2kgs for as little as $3 and $2-$2.5 for the 500g of crystal.malt is pretty cheap i buy in bulk. but with my very first 1kg cracked pale malt i was only paying $1.5.
from them at most anyone will pay for 1 kg of cracked amc pale malt is $2.

grumpy andy gave me 500g EKG PLUGS,500G U.S CASCADE PELLETS AND 5 KG WHEAT on my last visit for $70 thats a pretty hot price.

i actually am using more expensive malt at the moment.actuall traditional pale ale malt from imc and joe white.i pay about $1.5-$2 for that a kilo when buying in bulk.($80-$90 for 50 kgs')

is this about what you are paying or is this a very good price.tom quoted me the same price for the imc ale malt in his store so it must be a pretty standard price for adelaide.
what are sydney prices like?

Latest posts

Back