Drew's Brew's Bar Upgrade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amiddler

Reaction score
So it has come time to upgrade my bar top. When we had the house built 3 years ago we skimped on the top as I was unsure what I was going to do with it at the time. I didn't take a photo before I started demolition but you could imagine a 200mm capping on the bricks the same colour as the bar, dark grey with some blue specks.

Bar_1.jpg

I chose to do MDF underneath and a 19mm Jarrah top to save some cash.
Pic after day 1
Bar_2.jpg

Almost all the Jarrah on and an empty beer mug.
Pic after day 2
Bar_3.jpg

Is this wat is ment by a BAR clamp? Sometimes 13 clamps is just not enough.
Bar_Clamp.jpg

Drew

I love the top! Any type of seal you are leaning towards? I find the grain of Jarrah to be in need of deep care.

I used floor laquer on mine and it's come up a real treat. Make sure you bog up all the gaps as they really become evident after the 1st coat. I'm guessing you glued the boards down rather than nailing - any reason? My boards were nailed and the skirting board nailed and glued - no need for the clamps that way. By nailed it was a nail gun. Also hit it with a coarse grit belt sander first off to smooth everything out and then go fine before the 1st coat. I hand sanded between coats using a 240 grit and did 3 coats but could probably do another.

Found a clear coat that is used on decking so is really hard wearing. I have some sanding to do tomorrow and hopefully the first coat on tomorrow night. I chose to glue and clamp because I wanted it as clean finish as I could. I haven't posted a pic of the front of the bar yet but that is getting stained boards to cover the paint work. Stain will match the pool table, a walnut sort of colour. Hope to get it all done next days off, next week. Will post more then.

Drew

Nice work Mr Brews
BBB

Thanks mate. I actually found the idea of MDF with a thinner board on top from this website. I wasn't keen on selling my first born to put a fat slab of timber on the top. Brewers are such crafty people.

Thanks mate. I actually found the idea of MDF with a thinner board on top from this website. I wasn't keen on selling my first born to put a fat slab of timber on the top. Brewers are such crafty people.

I used marine ply for mine for extra strength - it's solid (and heavy) with the jarrah tongue and groove locking it all together.

The boards along the front will look great. You putting in a foot rail?

I was on the Craftbrewer site not long ago and looked at the foot rails. I think I would go Chrome and S/S over the brass. $400 to the door isn't to bad I think but have other things to do first.

Got a coat of clear polyurethane on it just 15mins ago. The timber seems quite dry, sucking the poly in very quickly. I think 3 coats will be required.

Bar_4.jpg

Drew

Can you believe my dearest doesn't share my enthusiasm on how great it looks. So much better than the dodgy old capping. I am very proud of what I have achieved in the last 3 days.

Got around to finishing the project today. I must say while it is not perfect it is the best piece of woodwork I have done to date.

From this,
Bar_1.jpg

To this,
Bar_5.jpg

From this,
Bar_11.jpg

To this,
Bar_6.jpg

Christened it last night with the old man, grey headed fellow in one of the pics who gave me a hand. I don't know that the beers tasted better but they were pretty good.

A very chuffed, Drew.

Looks bloody great, congrats :icon_cheers:

Looks great
I'll be coming back to this thread for ideas when I finally get a house I can build a bar in :beer:

Exceptional!

Who's got the reserved seat?!

BEEEWDIFULL.Well done just, needs a footrail to make it PUURRFEKT !! :kooi:

Top work Drew, looks fantastic :icon_chickcheers:

Back