Drewgongs Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewgong

Reaction score
Gday fellas hopefully this will be a pretty quick and basic build. Starting off with my gumtree bargain $80 fridge ....yes fridge not freezer. I see most builds start out building a platform with casters on it but seeing as though this one has a fairly strong looking steel base with casters fitted already I decided to take a shortcut and just build onto the fridge itself
20180325_153849.jpg
So off to bunnings I go and get myself as sheet of 4mm marine ply afew trim pieces of Tasmanian Oak and a few tubes of construction adhesive. Ideally to glue the ply on perfectly you would roll the fridge onto it's back but this is usually a killer for second hand fridges.
20180325_183305.jpg
20180325_183316.jpg
This was so much harder than it looks lol but got there in the end . I'll be spray painting that vent black and using a fairly dark stain on the timber so it blends in . I am still undecided on what I'm going to do for the top I've bought a 4 tap flooded font that will be just fed with water from a pond pump inside the fridge
20180325_184300.jpg

I'll be ordering 4 stainless flow control intertaps tomorrow with snaplock fittings.
Well I gotta wait 24hrs for glue to cure but then I'll be back at work so hopefully later on in the week I'll start cutting and gluing the trim on.

will the ply retain all the heat from the evap coils somtimes built into the freezer ?

or is the evap coil on the back or in with the motor on that one ?

I've been using it to store my kegs that won't fit in my current kegerator for about 6 months now and it's always been cool to touch and keeps my beer ice cold ....its actually a fridge not a freezer not sure if that makes a difference I'm no refrigeration mechanic

should be all good then, keep the pics coming

i have to do my keezer, it's ugly rusty whiteness needs sorting...

got the trim on this afternoon not sure if I should stain it or go clear ...and that strip in the centre looks to narrow
20180328_215749.jpg

No idea mate just gunna head off to bunnings and have a look

too late I stuffed I bought a stain/lacquer called teak and its completely ruined it . I have to work all weekend so I'll try and sand it all back next week

Post pics if you want opinions, surely a teak stain hasn’t ruined it....

Looked great raw

was embarrassed to put up a pic the finish came out heaps patchy as well as too dark
20180329_213200.jpg

Patchy is a good look and I always shoot for patchy when I stain. I never use a two in one tho. I like to hit the timber with a blow torch before I stain. Get some closeups for us but from that pic it looks great

Depending on whether you rally hate it and what you are aiming for, a light sand to bring some of the underlying colour through and a clear top coat could work?

I hope so the plan is to send the s@#t out of it and hit it with some clear

I reckon some satin estapol would be sweet (if you can use it over the lacquer..

I would never use a dual purpose stain/laquer, plus you have grains going in different directions, never a good look, and are they two different timbers the trim and the ply? Apart from that it is a good build.

yeah its marine ply base and tasmanian oak trim . I hear what you are saying about the grain going in different directions on the trim but how can one avoid that ....I'd need to cut the trim out of a full sheet in one piece?

I often tint the lacquer with projects like this, rather than stain the timber. Different effect, but it's dead easy.

Back