Drewgongs Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what a freaking nightmare
20180330_195307.jpg
that's two standing pads full off puss they gunk up immediately. so I resorted to a very worn out flap disc on a battery grinder and very gently sanded it Then back to the orbital sander
20180330_200358.jpg

Oh mate, that's tough - how about just going over the whole thing with a solid colour? There's some great spray effects available, or chalkboard paint the whole thing..? That might be quitter talk, there's no shortage of sandpaper at Bunnings if you decide to keep going that way!

Beer helps, have some of those and report back in for moral support!

I have 5 kegs on at the moment so beer is no problem sending the missus to bunnings tomorrow to get more sanding pads and one of those triangular Sanders. should get mon Tues off work fingers crossed

How strong is the bond between the ply and the fridge? It might be possible to flip the panels

20180331_211756.jpg
slowly getting there was hoping to do more today but got called into work

When you have finished the sanding, it might be a good idea to give it a good wash with thinners just to be sure there is no lacquer still in the grain, otherwise it will stick out like dogs balls if you are going with a lighter colour.

yeah I bought some clear lacquer today in aerosol so hopefully I get a more even finish . Australia post showed up this morning with some goodies
20180403_143234.jpg

painful mate it needs more sanding but it's not gunna get it
20180412_175608.jpg
all components have finally arrived for the font hopefully get started on the top this weekend
20180412_175643.jpg

I've bought a 4 tap flooded font that will be just fed with water from a pond pump inside the fridge .

If you are going to flood your fount, it may be worth thinking about condensation and rust damage to the lid of your kegerator. Generally, flooded founts are mounted into drip trays to catch the condensate, and protect the bench top from water damage. The fount nipple also condensates when the fount is flooded, so it is also worth thinking about insulating it to prevent possible damage to the insulation in your fridge lid.

It's looking really good!

Thanks mate I plan on tiling the top and have a flush mounted drip tray ....project is stalled as I just stuffed my back and its messing with some nerves in my leg.

Sounds like you have sciatica, ice pack and gentle exercise for your lower back to try and stretch and relax the contracted muscle which is irritating the sciatic nerve. Would've cost you $100 for a physio to tell you that.;)

Hey guys long time no see finally got sick of looking at the kegerator sitting in the corner. Found some motivation just gotta get some tiles cut for the top then start plumbing everything up . The metal brackets on the corners hide my shitty woodwork skills lol
20181127_200947.jpg
20181203_120134.jpg

Last edited:
SInce you've gone to the extreme of sanding the bejezus out of that cabinet, let me give you a couple of pointers to fake it to make it.

I'm a french polisher by trade and when we use to get some absolutely destroyed pieces in, we use to cover up some bits with some nice aesthetics so suit.

You will still need to finish it in something. Trying to get beer stains out of the raw timber is going to shit you to tears.
For a good hard wearing finish, go for an external clear finish.
Something like Cabothane clear will work. But only get the water based.
Oil based will take weeks to dry.
A harder, two pack lacquer would be better, but I cant find any local hardware stores stocking it any more.

Tint the clear to make it a little darker. Not to much and definitely no more that three coats or it will look like a toffee apple.
The corner pieces you put on are a good idea, but they dont really suit.
How about some brass pieces?
Maybe a little like this...
images

You can find some nice brass plates that you can also cover up the joints in your timberwork.
http://thecharleygirl.com/73921/bra...lly-4-brass-chest-or-desire-with-regard-to-5/

Screenshot_20181206-215143_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20181206-215121_Gallery.jpg
the brass looks cool but wouldn't completely cover my butchered join lol. I used a clear gloss lacquer from bunnings in aerosol cans . your probably shaking your head right now but I'm happy with the results

Back