Dream It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
I'm looking at some of the things that people are finding it hard/expensive/unsuitable/not designed for home brewing to get in Australia, and one of the things that seem to stand out is brew pots.

I'm not expert on brewing enough (plus i use a very simple system) to know exactly what the best setup would be for the majority of brewers though.

So as in the rims design, i'm asking what people would like to buy when they buy a stainless vessel.

What sizes?

If i can get three sizes to nest, would say 100l, 70l and 40l be what people are after? or is there scope for a 20-25l pot?
What are the most ideal sizes?

What quality?

Are people interested in paying more for heavier gauge pots? Or does it just have to be thick enough to be durable and strong?
Heavy gauge pots are not only more expensive to produce but also to ship.

What price ranges?

Related question here. Do people want all the bling already fitted? Or do they want skin fittings (bsp thread or triclover) so they can add or subtract functions?

What fittings?

What fittings are needed? Is electricity the best option or will the pots be used often with gas? Does it need fittings at the top for whirlpool outlets, fitings at the bottom for drains, elements?

What finish?

Do we need mirror finish inside and out or is simple polished preffered? Again this is a cost versus bling question.

What insulation?

Is a fitted glued insulation plus rubber sheath the best way to go (restricting gas use) or a removable cool bag type insulating jacket?

Interested in peoples views. :icon_chickcheers:

I reckon if you were thinking of importing for retail purposes the niche is 'good but affordable' not necessarily super bling. Look at the interest in your RIMS, mathos controller, gryphon's pump and herms ss set up on this forum. All great gear at the most affordable price point possible. So ...

What sizes?

If i can get three sizes to nest, would say 100l, 70l and 40l be what people are after? or is there scope for a 20-25l pot?
What are the most ideal sizes? I would guess 70 and 40l

What quality? At least lasts 10 years, not handy import quality.

Are people interested in paying more for heavier gauge pots? No, if not necessary. Or does it just have to be thick enough to be durable and strong? Just thick enough is fine

What price ranges? I think CBs 70L pot for $149 and say BCF 40L Alu for $99 are the prices to compete with (as far as i know)

Related question here. Do people want all the bling already fitted? (Option to) Or do they want skin fittings (bsp thread or triclover) so they can add or subtract functions? Only have used bsp, can't comment on triclover but i guess i would like to see triclover packages as not knowing how to set them up was a barrier to me using them (and price)

What fittings? I'd want weldless, also cant find ss pick up tubes here for reasonable price)

What fittings are needed? (do you have scope for options? ) Is electricity the best option or will the pots be used often with gas? (option for both,) Does it need fittings at the top for whirlpool outlets, fitings at the bottom for drains, elements? (Optional)

What finish?

Do we need mirror finish inside and out or is simple polished preffered? Again this is a cost versus bling question. - yep, judgement based on that

What insulation?

Is a fitted glued insulation plus rubber sheath the best way to go (restricting gas use) or a removable cool bag type insulating jacket? Prefer removable.

I'm looking at some of the things that people are finding it hard/expensive/unsuitable/not designed for home brewing to get in Australia
1) a steel mesh BIAB/Braumiser basket, you'll sell a million :p . I'd buy one for my Rubbermaid to save cleaning and stop stuck sparges.

2) I reckon some kind of generic 'mix and match' brew stand that can be made 1 level, 2 level, 3 level and 1v, 2v 3v would do well as not many can weld. Posting I guess is the issue. The bolt together stuff at Bunnings is only just adequate. I recently got a 100 ltr pot and aren't so confident about that stand any more with a mash tun full of grain and 70 litres of boiling liquid.

What price ranges?
I paid $300 for the 100 ltr pot. I didn't want to get a Robinox as I think it's overkill for brewing. I think about $300-350 for a 100 ltr is justifiable for something I'll use for many years. Plus down the track I figured I can make a Braumeiser with it if that becomes possible for triples.

These.

Magical_Snap___2012.04.27_16.40___007.jpg

Stainless steel, double-walled insulated pots for mash tun, kettle and fermentor. Available in a wide range of sizes. Made in Europe and not expensive.

I recently posted some details here http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=905395

Edit: Here's a link to ebay-Germany for a 80L thermopot for Euro 94.92 (ex local GST): http://www.ebay.de/itm/Edelstahl-Thermopor...=item5893c2c474.

I wonder what the sepration between the walls are? you could push some gycol around to chill after the boil.

I wonder what the sepration between the walls are? you could push some gycol around to chill after the boil.

No I don't think so. It seems to be injected expanded foam insulation between the walls. But if anybody here in backwards Australia ever decides to import these thermopots in bulk a non-foam insulation model would be a good option.

For more info on these go to the UK form JimsBeer Kit ( http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewfor...82e10b7ee0104ab ) and search on 'thermopot' (unlike AHB you don't have to register to perform a search)

And to the OP, thanks for asking what equipment we brewers would like to have available here. Wish there were more enterprising retailers like you instead of the same tired old vendors selling the same tired old products, while the rest of the homebrew world marches on.

Insulated precludes gas, but I've found the aluminium sandwich on my robinox fantastic for being as to control the boil and efficiently spreading heat vs my cheaper India pot with just a thin base

Also I think 50L may be a better size than 40L

But perhaps there is a hole in the market for a quality insulated vessel

My pots are both symmetrical, ie 50x50x50 cm and 40x40x40

I think taller and narrower would reduce evaporation which would mean bigger batch sizes from the same volume (but slightly reduced efficiency too)

Ps: make sure you can hang the lid on the pots handles!

I really don't think you can cater for the 'generic' home brewer, because each has different expectations and needs.
Some want - and are prepared to pay for - the best quality. Others are on a limited budget, so accept that there is a trade-off in quality for spending less. Others again like to do many things themselves, either for the pleasure of building it themselves or because it's cheaper.

What sizes?

Batch sizes, "single", "double", "tripple"
30-35L is adequate for single batches, and then look at what is good for other doubles/triples.

What quality?
See above.

What price ranges?
See above.
Related question here. Do people want all the bling already fitted? Or do they want skin fittings (bsp thread or triclover) so they can add or subtract functions?

What fittings?
Providing options for 'bare' pots and 'fully fitted' is probably best, that way it allows people to balance the cost, DIY effort and custom-design factors.
Some people will use electricity, others will use gas, likely have to cater for both.

What finish?
Finish is not so important as quality, as long as it is free of scratches and can be easily cleaned.

What insulation?
See above, maybe offer it as an optional extra.

1) a steel mesh BIAB/Braumiser basket, you'll sell a million :p . I'd buy one for my Rubbermaid to save cleaning and stop stuck sparges.

Hell yeah! That'd be such a great addition to my single vessel build. No more aluminium crab cooker insert, no more bag, just the mesh basket in a pot....

Have seen a build from someone who's done this a few years ago, just can't remember who the hell it was....

I'm not going to be in a position to offer fully optioned custom built brew gear on a one off basis. There is already some brilliant companies here doing exactly that, and doing it very well.

I am however in a position to import any level of quality on a specific design that will allow options. That's where i can see a niche that i can fill, and a gap that us as brewers aren't quite getting catered for as is obvious by some of the comments here.

If a stainless biab style basket is what's needed more than generic fitted pots, then by all means..

Let's dream it.

It won't be something that is custom designed to fit one off pots, but if we can come up with a generic basket that has all the features you want, and if i can deliver it at a great price then it may well happen.

So it would need to have a slight taper to allow for nesting, other wise freight would be horrendous. It would need to be either one or two sizes that fit a majority of uses.

So..

Mesh size?

Material thickness?

Diameter and height?

Handles/fittings for drawing up and hanging or suspending?

legs or stand?

You guide me. :icon_cheers:

That is a great idea, I would definitely buy something like that if it would plug straight into my 45L kettle. But there's no standard kettle size so I can see it being hard to do commercially.

So..

Mesh size? Not sure.....if i could find that thread from someone else's build then i'd be able to tell you . Probably the same as a false bottom??

Material thickness? Dunno, maybe 1mm?

Diameter and height? I reckon the diameter would have to be just able to fit into a crown or birko. Those people that brew with urns would most likely be your first customers with a basket like this. If it fits in one of those, then it should fit into any 50/70/100lt pot that us others are using for our BM knockoff/inventions...
Maybe 100mm shorter than the height of the urn so we can sit it above elements that may be installed in our pots, and maybe 10mm less than the diameter of an urn.

Handles/fittings for drawing up and hanging or suspending? Some kind of arrangement would be a good idea. Could just be something simple like an anchor point on the sides that we could attach some rope to for a pulley system.

legs or stand? Legs i reckon. I've just finished attaching some SS bolts to the bottom of my insert in my single vessel build. I reckon i'll get better heat distribution that way, and less likely to need the elements on as often.

You guide me. :icon_cheers:

I have a 15L SS pot that fits inside my 19L pot perfectly. Must admit I've been tempted to drill the bottom like swiss cheese and put in a braumeister mesh screen ($20) and a few lugs for it to rest on to drain...

These.

View attachment 54560

Stainless steel, double-walled insulated pots for mash tun, kettle and fermentor. Available in a wide range of sizes. Made in Europe and not expensive.

I recently posted some details here http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=905395

Edit: Here's a link to ebay-Germany for a 80L thermopot for Euro 94.92 (ex local GST): http://www.ebay.de/itm/Edelstahl-Thermopor...=item5893c2c474.

I would be interest in a few of these at various sizes.

+1 to the mesh, I'd buy one if it fit my Birko 40L.

These.

View attachment 54560

These and the mesh basket to fit would be a great combo for biab or just normal mash tun, I've seen in the UK they hook up elements to these for stepping. Do 2 or 3 popular sizes

These and the mesh basket to fit would be a great combo for biab or just normal mash tun, I've seen in the UK they hook up elements to these for stepping. Do 2 or 3 popular sizes

I think anybody who buys thermopots wholesale and imports them into Australia would be on to a real winner.

A few enterprising people in the UK and the US are doing this for their markets. One (poster 'Tich' on JimsBeerKits forum - link given above) sent a thermopot to a fabricator in China and had sample copies made with stainless fittings instead of the chromed brass spigot. I guess if the Germans can make them for the reasonable price they are, then a lower cost China clone would permit a good profit margin.

To me they would be the ideal mash tun. I've read of one bloke in the UK who is mashing, boiling, fermenting and dispensing real ales from the same thermopot.

I want a thermopot with ss fittings and a ss mesh insert now.

Back