Draining Wort Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
Still getting used to this new kettle of mine. I brewed up the mash paddle today, and at the end, left it draining throught the CFWC and started cleaning.
Came back, and it had sucked the keg dry, leaving it like this.

Do i need to increase the size of the braid to get it outside the pile left from the whirlpool? Or should i not worry, and praise the fact that i'm not wasting a drop of beer?

The reason i ask, is the beer was really clear coming out of the cfwc at the beginning, but ended up really cloudy when i took a sample.

emptykettle.jpg

jgriffin said:
Still getting used to this new kettle of mine. I brewed up the mash paddle today, and at the end, left it draining throught the CFWC and started cleaning.

Do i need to increase the size of the braid to get it outside the pile left from the whirlpool? Or should i not worry, and praise the fact that i'm not wasting a drop of beer?

The reason i ask, is the beer was really clear coming out of the cfwc at the beginning, but ended up really cloudy when i took a sample.
[post="61284"][/post]​

yeah i would get it right around the edge of the kettle

jgriffin said:

I tried braid & found it a problem too. Why not get rid of the braid, use a pickup tube as shown in http://www.metrak.com/wiki/homebrew/moin.c...0db91058667d06d & empty the kettle through a (sterilised) stocking placed over the fermenter. :) :)

Can you bend that copper pipe upwards to get the braid off the bottom an inch or so?

- Snow

The cloudiness is probably due to the cold break that forms as you chill. Since your using a CFWC its all going to end up in the fermentor. If you took your gravity sample from the tap it will contain a fair bit of break material as it settles quickly...

The braid should do a pretty good job of filtering most of the hop debris out no matter where it is. I wouldn't bother changing it unless you notice some ill effects in your beer. A bit of hot break in the fermentor is ment to be good for yeast health anyway... just bad for yeast harvesting :rolleyes:

Asher for now

Back