Downey Regulator? Worth Keeping?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
hello all on this bright and sunny Saturday, hope you're having a nice day

anyone care to comment on this beast that came as sundry parts from a recent purchase?

it looks really well built but yeah, is it worth getting it serviced and using it?

image.jpeg
I have this one droid. Andale stated they didn't have any parts. If you find out where please advise. This gauge has a hole in the diaphragm so if yours is OK perhaps parts for you?

Andale bought out Downey some 30+ years ago, so if anyone is going to have off the shelf parts, it will be them. It does not surprise me that they don't have parts,- they would much rather sell you a new reg.

I have found when confronted with a regulator challenge, that Gascon are really helpful, and are usually very reasonably priced. If they were to tell you to scrap it, I would believe them.

http://www.gascon.com.au/

Last edited:
thanks guys, its surplus right now but maybe worth chasing up later, cheers for the link and info - much appreciated

hello all on this bright and sunny Saturday, hope you're having a nice day

anyone care to comment on this beast that came as sundry parts from a recent purchase?

it looks really well built but yeah, is it worth getting it serviced and using it?

Did you follow any further? I haven’t had much luck here.

It is difficult to tell from the 2 pics that @droid & @Grott have posted, but I have my doubts as to whether these regs will take full cylinder pressure. I would investigate this as well whilst looking for parts. It may be necessary to use a knock down reg for safety purposes. I know that early Andale regs required the use of knock down regs. Most Downey equipment was before my time.

Back