Double pipe wort chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, gents, here it is as promised....

A brewer mate of mine is an engineer who used to commission industrial food-processing plants & scored them from somewhere... :ph34r: Each length is 3m.

He had this set-up in his brewery (mounted on the wall as per above comments) & was able to get an 80L boil to pitching temp's in about 20 minutes on Melbourne tap water, recirculating back into the boiler to create a whirlpool. He didn't do things by halves.....

DSCN1374.JPG

I paid him $150 at mate's rates for them, but I'm open to offers, as I don't use them. Melbourne only - I ain't posting these puppies!!

One of my neighbors is an air con mechanic and has plenty of busted units with tasty, multiple core copper and aluminium heat exchanges like this just sitting around.
So long as you can totally clean the system of R22 gas that is. Probably mess up your hop profile..
Certainly be no big deal to boil the kettle and do a a dummy run and see if its worth taking to the next level.

Is there a thermal engineer in the house who could bring some tricky maths to bear?

2012-06%2F27%2F110131453956.jpg

MartinOC said:
OK, gents, here it is as promised....

A brewer mate of mine is an engineer who used to commission industrial food-processing plants & scored them from somewhere... :ph34r: Each length is 3m.

He had this set-up in his brewery (mounted on the wall as per above comments) & was able to get an 80L boil to pitching temp's in about 20 minutes on Melbourne tap water, recirculating back into the boiler to create a whirlpool. He didn't do things by halves.....

attachicon.gif
DSCN1374.JPG

I paid him $150 at mate's rates for them, but I'm open to offers, as I don't use them. Melbourne only - I ain't posting these puppies!!
Martin, very inspirational...

China are busy at work, as we speak, to make a replica...
1449463V6-0.jpg

EDIT: Losses unknown at this stage...

Dave70 said:
One of my neighbors is an air con mechanic and has plenty of busted units with tasty, multiple core copper and aluminium heat exchanges like this just sitting around.
So long as you can totally clean the system of R22 gas that is. Probably mess up your hop profile..
Certainly be no big deal to boil the kettle and do a a dummy run and see if its worth taking to the next level.

Is there a thermal engineer in the house who could bring some tricky maths to bear?

2012-06%2F27%2F110131453956.jpg
Would that solder be lead free?

^^Most of the work I can remember doing on any kind of mechanical services stuff used silver solder with a higher silver content - 5 to 15% silver over the standard 2% stuff.
If I had to take a stab I'd guess those joints are brazed, not soft soldered.
However, I like heavy metal in my ears, not my organs and nervous system so I'd be double checking with the manufacturer before running a pale ale through it.

Would be worse than a $30 immersion chiller. Liquid-to-Liquid thermal transfer is much more efficient than Liquid-to-Air, no matter how it works. What you could do is put a trans cooler in an external bath and recirculate through it.. but would still be worse than the $30 immersion chiller.

takai said:
Would be worse than a $30 immersion chiller. Liquid-to-Liquid thermal transfer is much more efficient than Liquid-to-Air, no matter how it works. What you could do is put a trans cooler in an external bath and recirculate through it.. but would still be worse than the $30 immersion chiller.
Where do you get a $30 immersion chiller?

I made mine and the copper pipe cost more than that.

takai said:
This, with the ubiquitous 10% off voucher for masters: https://www.masters.com.au/product/900008316/hardwicks-copper-pancake-coil-1-2-12-7-x-0-91mm-x-6m

Used to be $33 so $30 with discount, seems to be up to $33 discounted now. Everyone should have hose for water supply, but if not then thats only an extra $5.

An immersion chiller made from that coil will be more effective than a trans cooler.
You should dig up the old thread that dealt with immersion chillers, rate of flow, coil construction, physics ect. There were (no pun intended) some very heated exchanges. Good value.
For me, 12m of tube with a wooden spoon in a cordless drill whirl-polling the wort works a treat. Still playing with the ideal flow rate.

Latest posts

Back