Double Double Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
While waiting for my mild to boil, I thought i'd crush the grains for another double batch I intended to do on thursday. But, with 2 of my 3 kids at school today, I thought "bugger it" and mashed in the second double batch, a galaxy pale ale. So far, after a 2 and a bit hour mash ( got a surf in ), the mild ended up 3 points over target gravity. Im goin for a 90 minute mash on the galaxy pale, so we'll see how it goes. Im stuffed, but i'll have 70 litres ( 4 x cubes ) at the end of the day, so I reckon its worth it. I'll definately do it again. Might even do an overnight mash for first one to make it even easier

Done this a few times myself. With my double batch rig I can push out 80L in a little over 6 hours. Dough in about 7.30 and all finished with 4 cubes at 2pm.

Lovely having 2 cubes of 2 different wort sitting and waiting.

If I were to attend to my kettle to watch for boil overs, I could probably get triples out of it. 6 cubes would be rad. But it's too easy to just dial the rambo to where it needs to be before coming to boil and walk away for the hour or so knowing it'll be boiling away nicely.

Done this a few times myself. With my double batch rig I can push out 80L in a little over 6 hours. Dough in about 7.30 and all finished with 4 cubes at 2pm.

Lovely having 2 cubes of 2 different wort sitting and waiting.

If I were to attend to my kettle to watch for boil overs, I could probably get triples out of it. 6 cubes would be rad. But it's too easy to just dial the rambo to where it needs to be before coming to boil and walk away for the hour or so knowing it'll be boiling away nicely.

Doing triples rocks :)

Heheh, just kegged up 3 kegs from a single BIAB on Saturday... got another triple to put on this week (60L in fermenter = 3 kegs full!). And another triple planned.

You're right, having to watch for boil-overs and having to do a sparge does make it a lot more work than just doing a double, but its worth it. I reckon I could get 80L into a fermenter with a bit of high gravity magic... but I can't fit 80L in anyway ;)

Going from no beer, to 3 taps with 3 kegs queued up behind each tap in just 3 brews... rocks :)

And then I'm looking forward to some experimental single batches again

It takes about 5hrs to do the triple batch BIAB with a dunk sparge and lazy pace (90/90min mash/boil), staggered back to back brews is of course not really an option

(4 x 15/17L cubes)
3_4_little_babies.jpg

Well, im finally done!!. Stuffed but happy. I had no cubes, and no kegs, so now, as soon as i get some yeast cranking, i'll be able to fill my 3 kegs!. Not as good as one 60l fermentor though!!!.

Let me get this straight......

You had mostly the house to yourself.

You knocked out two doubles.

You caught a few waves too.

Let me get this straight......

You had mostly the house to yourself.

You knocked out two doubles.

You caught a few waves too.

Haha yeah, but i just got over a run of brewhouse infections, and i have had a pretty bad run of waves too, so i was due for better luck!!

Back