Double Diamond A.g. Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I walked into my lock H.B. Shop (in Newcastle) on Friday to find out that the chap who i thought owned it has left/been sacked ? and the real owner of the shop has taken over, and the new look shop looks tops. Shawn may have noticed as well.
Anyway i went in looking for some bits to add to my last tin of Unhopped Pale to make an LCPA clone. So i got a Morgans Stockmans Draught and a rather large doggy bag of Cluster & Cascade Hops. + 1kg of what we call around here as OOMPH, its just Dex & Malt.
Anyway i was asking about a good Ale AG to do next and the new fellas in there showed me a recipe for what is called a "DOUBLE DIAMOND ALE" the recipe looked prety basic with lots of malt and heaps of hops.
Has anyone made something like this? or even heard about this type of beer? all the same i think i should give it a crack, as all my big beers turn out a lot better than my smaller Lager types.

stephen

The Double Diamond recipe probably came from the CAMRA English Ales book and would be a dependable recipe if so.

A small beer is hard to brew really well so that it comes out interesting, yet in our hot summer a big beer is not really what you are looking for.

Jovial Monk

Hey SJW,

Saw your post and couldn't help myself. There are 2 points I had to mention:

Firstly, as a summer beer, you can't do much better than a wheat beer (weizen, american wheat or a witbier). Very thirst quenching. Your Double Diamond clone may be a bit heavy for Summer drinking.

And..., I know the people from the brew shop you mentioned. There was a disagreement between the manager and the owner, and a parting of the ways. The former manager of the shop now has his own shop down the road in Islington (ph 492 696 696), and I'm sure he'd be happy to hear from you and bring you up-to-date on whatever you would like to know.

View attachment beer_saying.txt

Well, if it tastes crap its a good clone of DD. (Reputedly the Duke of Edinburgh's favorite beer, but in practice he seems to be quite happy to drink good beer if its provided - even one where the recipe was set by me. Yes, really.)

Thanks WEIZ. i get on well with Mark so i will chase him up.
Also i dont mind doing the big Winter beers now as i brew all my summer beer in winter and all my winter drinking beers in summer. As i dont have temp control, and it gives all beers a good few months to condition.
I guess i should just give it a crack, and it did come from that book JM.

SJW,
U R welcome. I get on well with Mark too and visited the new shop last Thursday. I collected some business cards to hand out , and bought some hops for some american wheat beer (it's one of the wheat beers that Mark quite likes, and he doesn't like many).
I got an extra digit in the phone number. It's 49 696 696, and the address is 18 Maitland Rd, Islington (opposite Wickham park, next to the surfboard shop).
I must admit that your brewing regime is well-planned, but it probably takes more planning/organisation than most brewers can muster.
Best of luck with the Double Diamond!
:p

WEIZ. I went it today and had a look at his new shop. It looks great. I will being doing all my shopping with him from now on. He is a top bloke and i would love to see his new venture take off.

GO THE HOMEBREW IN NEWCASTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see you on the site again SJ. Mark's new shop is pretty good. My grain comes in this week so I can feel a brew weekend coming on ;)

Shawn.

Back